Help me im new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GarrettHB, Jan 21, 2013.

1. GarrettHB

GarrettHB New Egg

Jan 21, 2013
    So I live in Huntington Beach (California) I have finally convinced my parents to let me build a chicken coop in the backyard next to my moms garden. They said I can have 3 chickens and I thought I could just go to craigslist and find chickens for sale, but I couldn't? Does anyone have any idea where I can buy chickens, preferably ones that are already hatched?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! However this thread does not belong in this section and will probably get moved. :)

Anyhow, if you wait a few months, many feed stores carry day old chicks. You can also look on line at hatcheries around the country and many of them sell grown birds.

Also....scroll down here to the "buy~sell~trade" section and many folks are offering up week olds to 8 weeks and older. Check the posts to see if anyone is in your area. You can also check the section on "animals in need of a rehome", you might find someone in your area.

Good luck and again, [​IMG]

Edit to add: LOL...somehow I knew this thread would end up in the new members section. LOL

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. TheReadyBoys

TheReadyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    Welcome to BYC! Is there any farmers you know of? Maybe you should make a few calls and see if anyone is willing to give up some chickens. You will probably want chicks because you will get the most eggs from them.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. "Buy, sell, trade" or the California state thread as provided would be good places to start. You may be able to locate birds within easy driving distance. Good luck at starting your flock.

6. tamglas

tamglas Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    I looked at the Los Angeles Craigslist and saw many listings for people selling chickens. I went under the Farm and Garden heading and typed Chickens in the search box. Maybe your parents would be willing to go out of their way to help you check out or pick up the chickens? I'm not sure how far Huntington Beach is from Los Angeles.

I hope you get your chickens soon :)

7. Rhys1377

Rhys1377 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    Hi guys I'm also new so I don't know what sections to post in so sorry if this post annoys you I just joined up to see if I could get some answers about my chickens we bought 4 baby chicks from the pet store being told that there is a two percent chance that it will be a rooster we have 2 Australorps one rhode Islam red and one leghorn all crossed with new Hampshire. Thy are now 14 weeks old and in one of the Australorps we have notice that the comb is much brighter and bigger than the others and also some other features this Australorp is a different colour to the other so I dont know maby it got more of the new Hampshire side but I just really hope someone can help me out with this thankyou.

8. TheReadyBoys

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    Hard to tell. A picture may help.

9. Rhys1377

Rhys1377 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    Okay I'll try my best how do I add pictures?

10. TheReadyBoys

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    Upload it the computer and there should be a place that says Upload Image. Click it and choose your picture and click insert. That should do it. It's just in the middle when you go to post a comment. It is a house and sun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by