1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help me keep my chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by samandmike, Feb 5, 2009.

1. samandmike

samandmike Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    my husband and I have recently purchased 2 chickens from our neighbor and we are trying to find out if there are any ways to keep them on our property without having to fence them in and them not going back next door any advise will be appreciated and helpfull

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    You will need to confine them for a few days so they know where home is, have a secure coop for them in the evening and preferrably a chicken tractor or small fenced area to contain them so they do not return to the neighbors.

Do a search for chicken tractor here and you will see many ideas. Mine is on here too. If I can find the thread I will link it for you.

Here is my little tractor...easy to move around and safe for them to hang out in but not overnight in

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=53242

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  3. samandmike

Feb 5, 2009
    thank you for your help but they are older chickens will it still work with us being only about an eighth of a mile away we have had them completely cooped for about 9 days

4. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:Do your neighbors still have a flock? It might be tough to keep them home, no matter how long you keep them locked up, if they still do.[​IMG]

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    When you do turn them out only turn1 of them out for 2 or 3 days, then if it stays, turn the other one out. and they should be fine.

6. samandmike

Feb 5, 2009
    yes he still has most of a flock of 50 or so and they can still hear each other will it help any if we keep them locked up until they have babies

7. azelgin

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:Well, depending on the breed, you may end up waiting quite some time, as some breeds may never set and hatch chicks. Your best bet may be a chicken tractor. Maybe somebody else out here has a better answer? Oh yes...[​IMG]

8. samandmike

Feb 5, 2009
    I have one more question we have ordered 20 new chicks will it effect the chicks running off if these older two decide to run off after we get the chicks in

9. azelgin

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:Your new chicks may wander, but I would almost guarantee they will come home at night to the coop they were raised in. We have two separate flocks of chickens, of about 25 each. Their coops are only 50 feet apart and they ALWAYS go back to their own coop at night. They may visit each other's home during the day, but they never stay overnight:p.

10. samandmike

Feb 5, 2009
    i would like to thank everyone for there help and will probably be back soon for more advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by