Help me kill whatever is digging these holes around my pen...... :)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JoeOxfordCT, Dec 4, 2008.

1. JoeOxfordCT

JoeOxfordCT Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2007
    Oxford, CT.
    Hi All,

First post in awhile which is a good thing !! No more problems with hawks since I covered my pen.

Next topic....

I am finding hole dug in spots around and under the perimeter of my pen. Check the pictures...one is clear, I put a tape measure there for scale.....the holes are approximately 3 inches in diameter.....I am thinking weasel ??? They only appear overnight. My birds are locked safely in the coop at night so they're safe...but it's a little unsettling to see so much activity taking place while we're all sleeping.....

If it's a weasel what're the best ways to trap & kill them ? Jaw trap ? I'm not playing.....I intend to kill whatever it is that's doing this.....no catch & relocate or Havahart traps thank you......My birds will be laying very soon....those that know me know I went through a ton of baloney last year with hawks where I ended up selling my remaining birds to Purple Chicken. This year I've dealt with the hawks and now I'm getting this....

You can see in the second pic where the animal has dug almost all the way under the wire I have laid on the ground.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

i am thinking that a weasel could easily get through the wire without digging ? Do you have chicken wire and then another wire ? i could not tell by the pic.?

3. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I have holes in my coop too. They look about the same but mine are just from rats/mice. I don't think we have weasels in our area.

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Armadillos will dig too. [​IMG] I have one that digs right around my barn as well as other places in the yard. He's not trying to eat the chickens, just dig up stuff to eat and the stuff he eats just happens to like chicken poo. [​IMG]

5. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

looks like a vole or a mole to me - vole's dig vigorously at night, are related to a mouse/rat/mole LOL

6. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Looks like the Armadillo and skunk holes I get around here. [​IMG]

7. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I saw corn. Have you been feeding bread? Bread draws rats!

8. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    Here in the south Armadillos do that. They can dig a whole yard up with these little holes.

Good luck!

9. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    To begin a cheap ID (voles/something else...) A glue trap with some meal worms spread on it would probably get the vole. A couple of Big Victor rat traps with something tasty like raw bacon tied to the treadle would eliminate other possibles. Just place the traps under overturned boxes (cut out a few entrances in boxes in case it's `rat like').

good luck!

10. JoeOxfordCT

JoeOxfordCT Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2007
    Oxford, CT.
    Well I'm in Connecticut so armadillos are out...[​IMG] (I think [​IMG])

The holes seem awfully big for voles.....3 inches in diameter....

Rats I guess it could be.....I would feel a little better than weasels.....
    I will pick up one of those large snap rat traps and see what I get.......

Thanks !!!

J. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by