Help me make bantam nest boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hcammack, Dec 1, 2009.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    So my Faverolle girls are laying on the ground. I have a LF nest box in there with them filled with shaving and a golf ball but its for birds twice there size and three of them could fit in it. I have also tried a Clementine crate which is flatter and lower to the ground. Help me out! What do you bantams like to lay in? I may use a cardboard box to make one if I take another break from applications. I didn't raise these birds here and have contacted the breeder asking what type of nest box she was using. But I want to get the eggs up off the ground ASAP some of them are getting dirty. What do you all suggest this is pretty much my first time with bantam breeds and they are in a chicken tractor.

Thanks,
    Henry

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  2. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I may make some sort of goofy looking ugly little cardboard next box for them just to see if they will use it.

Henry

3. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    I use a rubbermaid container and screw it to the coop so that it will not tip when the chicken stands on it. They come in all sizes and are cheap!

4. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:That sounds like a good idea the faverolle girl layed in the flower pot I was using as a nest box but the egg rolled out luckly I got it about 10minuets after it was layed.

Henry

5. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    Sorry, I have no idea. My banties all used the same nestboxes as the big nestboxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by