Help me! Marilyn dead, her sisters in shock and terrified.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by urbanfred, Feb 15, 2009.

1. urbanfred

urbanfred Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Portland
    Valentine's day morning, our 2 R.I reds were on the patio in the dark (5 am). The door to the run had been left open (wife forgot to close). My dear little Marilyn (bantam cochin) was not to be seen. I went to the coop immediately, and she was there, dead, head chewed off. The reds were agitated and confused. The reds wouldn't go into the run or the coop. I put them back in last night, after resistance, and they went in to sleep. 30 minutes later screaming from the coop. Both of them were hurling themselves against the chicken wire and screaming. They were terrified. I picked them up and put them into the garage, and they immediately calmed down and slept. This morning, they will not leave the garage, even for food or water. What can I do?
    Grieving old chicken dad.

2. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Oh, no! Poor Marilyn.
    Do you have any ideas about what can be doing this? Is there a raccoon in the yard, terrorizing the chickens at night?

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I would leave them in the garage until you can kill the predator and make the coop more secure. Poor babies.... [​IMG]

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    maybe what ever killed your bantam is still in the coop? I am sorry for your loss I forgot to close my run one night and lost 4 beautiful birds last year, maybe an automatic door, I have been reading a lot on how to make them.

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh I am so sorry. Sounds like a coon with head gone. Poor girls. Leave them in the garage for now, find the predator (Look for a raccoon), dispose of predator and proof up the coop and run area a bit better.

They will get over it but it will take them time. Check the coop well...the predator may be hanging out in there. If you have open ceiling look around the rafters/studs and in corners and such.

Good luck with it.

6. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    yeah
    sounds like a coon
    good solution to the problem, is a .357 magnum and some hollow points,

7. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We had problems with coons a few years ago. A mother and baby were coming in every night. Most of our chickens started coming up to the house and wanting to roost in the garage at night. After we trapped the coons, things eventually returned to normal and everyone went back to the barn to roost, where they belonged. Chewing the head off, yeah, probably a coon.

8. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    So sorry for your loss:(
    I think after a few days you'll be able to put them back in. When you get rid of the predator change out the bedding and all the smells will be fresh and new.
    Happy girls-happy farmer!

9. urbanfred

urbanfred Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Portland
    Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I 'm sure it's a coon, and it is not in the coop. The coop is small, 3'x3'x6', and I will thoroughly clean everything. The reds are so scared it's unreal, and I dread having them injure themselves trying to get out of their run and coop. They have the run of the yard during the day, sleeping inside at night. I must say that the grief I feel at losing Marilyn is awful. She was a "house chicken" for two months while a toe injury healed. She sat on my shoulder and read the paper with me, (yes, she wore a diaper, slept in a cage in the extra bedroom and bounced downstairs when she got up, and learned to come when called.
    A little snow white, feather-legged, pom-pom-tailed princess......

10. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    ahhh so sorry to hear what happened. Hope your girls get over that, poor things. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by