1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me on this please!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Quail1994, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Quail1994

Quail1994 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Hi everyone.

I have a 40 liter 670x350x270mm polystyrene coolerbox as a still air incubator.

The temp. is a constant perfect 100*F.

But my humidity is 20%,and still declining.

I would like to know what I can do to make it reach 40% and then 60% the last for days.

I have already put in a plastic cup with 50ml water,but it's not decreasing at all.

I don't want to cut more holes in the box,because I want to keep that temp!!!

So what must I do to increase the humidity,put in a bigger bowl with more water or what?

Thankyou?

NOTE:This is for quail eggs.

2. blkwdw

blkwdw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    I spread out a paper towel in mine and got that wet, its not the quantity of water you put in but the area that is wet, than I can use a straw through the vent holes to direct more water to the paper towel to keep it wet. Good Luck

3. thwoody28

thwoody28 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Wedowee, Alabama
    I have added a sponge to the bottom of mine and actually cut the sponges into smaller pieces and placed them all around the bottom and keep them filled with water. It has helped alot with my humidity problem.

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Surface area and surface tension affect the ability of water to evaporate into water vapor. You need to increase the surface area and decrease the surface tension -- the best way to do this is what the other posters already said -- something with a lot of rough surface that will soak up water and then allow it to evaporate -- sponges or blotter paper are really good for this. Blotter paper more or less is similar to some of the thicker, better, more cloth like paper towel brands.

If putting it horizontally on the floor still doesn't work, try hanging some strips of thick, heavy duty paper towel vertically with their ends in a container of warm water -- you could rig up some kind of little rack out of wire and use a small plastic container for the water source.

If all else fails, a tiny fan blowing across a wet surface will increase the evaporation, BUT it also might screw up your temperature balance at this point -- you might consider that in the future AFTER this hatch is done.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by