Help me out. Don't know what kind this is. But it's growing fast and kind,be looks like a buckeye or

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by diggstown, Jan 6, 2017.

1. diggstown

diggstown Just Hatched

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Can you post a free standing profile shot ?

3. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    X2. :)

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Agree we need a profile shot of the bird standing naturally.

From what I can see, I'm thinking Wyandotte mix. That comb shows rose comb ancestry, and Wyandottes are the most common. The coloring could mean a gold laced parent, hard to say from the picture.

1 person likes this.
  5. diggstown

diggstown Just Hatched

She got a little mad but here's the night time side view [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Pretty sure that's a male. How old?

No breed is jumping out except from that comb. Could be mixed with pretty much anything red based.

1 person likes this.
  7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Mixed breed...not a Buckeye male....legs aren't heavy enough nor is body for the age that would have to be behind that comb...comb should be tighter pea comb....color is a brown not the Buckeye mahagony nor orange of production quality....and Buckeye males have dark mahogany patches on their wings. (They are very stunning birds). They will be about 5 pounds by 16 weeks with appearances of Cornish game influence in their legs.

The mottled dappling on the neck and chest suggest a red mix. I think Donrae is right in the rosecomb influence.

I'm thinking some Production Red too as the body type is longer and lighter, granted he is still growing. And yes, it is a he.

LofMc

1 person likes this.
  8. diggstown

diggstown Just Hatched

I have a silky rooster that is six months old do you think that him and the new rooster that you see here are going to have a problem. Because I have nine more hens

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    It all depends on the chemistry of the roosters, and hens.

Roosters raised together do better; however, I've not always had good results mixing in a single Silkie into a large fowl flock. Many birds tend to pick on the Silkie, especially the head notch, which can cause irreparable damage to the Silkie if they are hazed hard enough.

My banties do better if they are in their own separate area together.

But I've got friends who have banty roosters that rule the roost.

So back to it all depends on your flock.

9 hens to 2 roosters is a lower ratio...usually it is 8 to 10 hens per rooster, but that number changes according to the chemistry of the flock as well, and if the boys get along, and if they don't try to over mate the hens.

You can slowly work up to it and see how it goes. Have a plan B if it doesn't.

LofMc

10. diggstown

diggstown Just Hatched

Thanks Will do. I got 5 silkie and 2 red sexlinks and now 5 of whatever these hybrid birds are. The little momma silkie actually rules the roost. Lol. She's the oldest. She was laying for me but she went broody and just came out of it. One of the sexlinks started laying for me last week. They all are young birds. The momma silkie I think just hit ayear and the baby is are 6 months and the sexlinks are about the same age. The new birds are around 10 to 12 weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by