Help me out here...10 weeks Barred roo? or am I lucky it could be a hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lady of McCamley, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I posted earlier and got a 4 to 3 split as to whether "Flash" is a roo or hen.

I keep thinking this is going to be a roo...then it just doesn't develop quite like I think it should as a roo. At times it is very hennish, other times roo-ish.
    Now it's just making me crazy-ish. [​IMG]

I must warn you that this bird came from a grab bag of fertile eggs that were supposed to be "purebreds" but have proven to be anything but...so while this bird looks like a simple Barred Rock, it could be a barred mutt...making it sexlinked...or not.

Anyway, daughter is visiting again in a couple of weeks from her new hubby's farm in Idaho, and if this is a roo, she will take it back. However, the last time I did that, I ended up giving away a very nice laying hen as the then 10 week "roo" turned out to lay nice eggs at 13 weeks (another fast developing mutt). [​IMG]

Thanks in advance.
    Lady of McCamley

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now a nice roo stance. It still just chirps like a chick. Thought I heard baby crow this am (I keep waiting to hear it), but Silkie was just wanting out of pen and squawking. Watched all day and BR only chirped.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    rooster

3. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Roo :( sorry!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You have a rooster, 100% sure.

5. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Cockerel

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That much comb at 10 weeks is all rooster.

Tell your daughter to bring that hen back [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Thank you all...I got my first verified "crow" today...well a sincere attempt anyway.

Yup...cockerel. I thought it was going to be...just a bit gun shy after giving away a decent hen last time (who KNEW she would mature into laying by 13 weeks! I gave her away at 10 weeks.)

Happy to give this one away to my daughter. She'll have a nice barred rooster.
    @ Donrae...you are RIGHT....I should tell her to bring my hen back! (But I know I won't. I gave it fair and square.)
    Lady of McCamley

8. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh well.....at least your daughter will have him! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by