Help me out, Muscovy lovers! PICS ADDED!!! :D

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cukooformarans, Jul 16, 2011.

1. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    I purchased 4 ducklings from a local source a few months ago. The lady said that they were pure muscovies. The mother was brown and white and she said the father was green. I took that to mean the iridescent black/green common to muscovies. However, these are free range birds on a pond. The ducklings have feathered out now, and 3 of the 4 are barred. They are also my three drakes. The fourth is a duck hen and she is solid black. Here's the thing. I already had a couple of ducks and needed a drake from these babies. But I am wondering if these are some sort of cross b/c I have never seen a barred muscovy. The are absolutely beautiful, but I have been told that crosses are sterile. It is hard to get full-grown muscovy around here and it took me a couple of months to find these babies. Should I go ahead and start looking for another group of babies to raise up to get a drake, or is there a chance that these barred drakes are pure muscovies???? I will try to post pics later. Is it common for wild ducks to cross w/ domestic free-range muscovy hens? Are there any tell tale signs of a cross? They are beginning to get the characteristic caruncles. Any help would be much appreciated! I will try to post pics later. Thanks, everybody!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I Have a barred "scovy" too and have been told he is a mule duck but if you look on feathersite.com they picture barred scovies and they look EXACTLY like mine. So I am just playing the wait and see game.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  4. cukooformarans

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    [​IMG]
    This one is my favorite!

[​IMG]
    Ok ... so this is another of the same drake! [​IMG] He really is my favorite. LOL

[​IMG]
    This is all of the drakes from this set.

What do y'all think? Thank you so much for the replies already! I may have to chance it because the one at the top is just so gorgeous!!! He also feathered completely out weeks before the other drakes. I don't know what that means. The one to the far right has a slight case of angel wing I think, but he is still a healthy, pretty drake!

5. cukooformarans

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    The middle one in the last picture is the same one from the top two pics. Can a brown pied and a black produce a barred like that? Could it be some kind of recessive gene??

6. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Looks like a full muscovy to me. Has the right bill, feet, eyes and caruncles. Beautiful bird!

Maybe some sort of ripple? I've only seen the ripple in brown but these feathers are really nice. I like the "peacock" feathers too!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Farmgirl, please explain what white French production muscovy eggs are.

8. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    They are full Muscovy! They look very nice and clean! Awesome!Dont see any reason why you shouldnt have ducklings...

9. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    Full Blooded Muscovies as there is such a thing about Barred scovies.

10. cukooformarans

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    Yay!!!! I am so excited! Thanks, everybody![​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by