Help me out w/ this chicken..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AllenInTampa, Jan 22, 2012.

1. AllenInTampa

AllenInTampa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2012
    [​IMG]I bought my first set of yard birds today. A family was liquidating all of them due to an illness in the family. I wasn't particular about picking them as I wanted to get 5 and get out of the neighborhood I was in. There was literally a 92 year old man running them down in a very large pen and catching them for me.
    I got my 5, paid them and took off. This one is obviously a much darker color. I am assuming its a much younger bird as it has small comb and waddles. My question, is it a dang rooster? They are all supposed to be RIR's. If it is indeed a cockerel, I will drive back up there tomorrow and see about exchanging it for a bonafide hen
    Its the darker bird in the front of the picture..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    The four in the back are red sex links and the darker one up front is a rir. They all look like girls too [​IMG]

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Agree. Good eye, LindsayB.
    Enjoy all the eggs that should be coming your way soon. Give them a week or two to settle in , and then enjoy the benefits of having your own flock.
    Good luck.

4. AllenInTampa

Jan 8, 2012
    Thanks for clearing that up and putting my mind at ease. The 4 others have ganged up on the darker (RIR). Not really, but they would not let it near any of the feeders or near the water bucket w/o running her off. Also, when it started getting dark, they looked very confused and I knew they wanted to go to roost. They were trying to fly up and out. Luckily I put some temporary netting up earlier in the afternoon. I finally got three of them to go inside. I have three asleep inside the coop on the floor in the pine shavings, and 2 asleep on the dirt underneath the coop house. None took advantage of the roosting bars I built. Guess they will in time..

Also, to my surprise I got an egg this afternoon right before dark!
    [​IMG]

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Sweet! You will probably need to show them where to sleep for the first week or so. They'll likely figure it on their own in time, but it's always best to start good habits from the start. Sleeping on the ground will make their butts all dirty and yucky.

6. AllenInTampa

Jan 8, 2012
    Same 2 are asleep in the dirt again tonite under the coop. Other three are inside. I can't see inside the coop well w/o going in the pen but I can see one on the roost. I guess tomorrow I will try to get them inside right at dark

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by