Help me persuade my mom!

Sunshine Hen

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Stamford, CT
I'm sooo excited because my neighbor is getting chicks on May 4!! I really want only 3 little chicks. But...my mom isn't completely convinced. She keeps saying: "Oh, your excited about getting chicks - that will live down the street." Grrrr! My dad is all for the idea, he wants the poop!

So, can you guys make a list of reasons why I should get chicks?? I already told her: We get eggs, it would make me happy, and she agrees that they're beautiful birds. So other reasons would be appreciated!

Thanks
jumpy.gif

It would teach your responsibility on taking care of animals.
If you have too many eggs you can sell them to friends families and it will teach you about business.
It is a cheap source of entertainment(this may backfire), you won't need to go to the movies as much.

It will most definately teach you how to deal with poop. Therefore, diaper-changing stops seeming so bad X.X

they can be really fun

my chicken sits on my shoulder like a cocky and sits on my finger

it trainsu to be good with animals

and a whole lot more i cant think of...............

Rofl!!!

Lets not forget...PEST CONTROLL. They wont get all of the bugs, but they will get a lot of them. And there is no better therapy, than sitting in a chair, watching chickens walk about, doing chicken things!

they are better pets than dogs and easier i must say tell her i bought my 2 yr old 10 chickens and he helps everyday we let oe sit on his arm for he first time today u should aseen his smile
smile.png
and they are really cheap to care for good luck

mommy let ur kiddo have a chick or 2 please?

maybe that will help!

I think better than making a list of why you really want them, you should make her a list showing how ready you are to take care of them. That's probably what she's worried about--that's what most parents are worried about. After all, they don't stay cute little chicks, they turn into full grown CHICKENS (which some of us also think are adorable
smile.png
).

You can start here for the basic stuff:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/graphics/savechick/save-a-chick.pdf

I'd also recommend getting a book or two on how to take care of chickens, and what kind of housing they need as they grow. Storey's Guide to Chickens is one of the best, in my opinion, but there are lots of good books out there.

I bet if you approached your mom from the perspective of being ready to take responsibility, as opposed to just wanting something that's cute and fuzzy, she'd be a lot more willing to listen to what you have to say.

Thanks everyone! I have a really good book on how to take care of chicks/chickens that I've been reading almost every night. I'll tell my mom your ideas and I think they will work!
ya.gif

Quote:
Good for you. I am glad you are reading and doing your research. Another good reason is you can join the 4-H club and show your birds. Just remember to start out with good birds for beginners. What kind of birds are you interested in?

Back
Top Bottom