Help me pick a new breed!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Xtina, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Hi guys,
    The breed selector tool appears to be down, and I feel like a community discussion might be more fun for me anyway!

Long story short: I lost a hen about a month ago and want to replace her. I was going to buy some buff/sexlink mutts from a friend of a friend, until someone offered up some Wyandottes for sale. I got more excited than I should have and when she didn't show up for our meeting, I was more crushed than I ought to have been. Turns out, I don't want mutts, even if it means having to make a drive or waiting until spring to get some purebreds. And while right now, all I want are some pretty gold-laced Wyandottes, I thought I'd open the floor to more suggestions. Here's what I'm looking for:

Standard
    Cold-hardy
    FRIENDLY - both with me and my other ladies
    Great egg layer
    Beautiful!

And I do mean beautiful. I want nice puffy looking ladies with stocky bodies who have interesting patterns. No solid colors seem to appeal to me at this point. Let me hear your ideas!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Blue or Splash Orpingtons!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

SLW and GLW sure are pretty birds! (I have one of each.) I particularly like it when they show their pantaloons or petticoats - that just makes me laugh.

Any of the Brahmas, light or buff or dark - nice patterns and chunky chickens.

Delawares, although lots of white, the "necklace" and tailfeather tips of black are really pretty. And they're SO friendly!

Speckled Sussex, maybe?

EEs could be ANY color, and the cheek muffs make their little faces so adorable. Plus the green eggs are charming. Not as great a layer as the Brahmas and Delawares, though.

4. Xtina

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Quote:It is my Buff Orpington that I'm replacing, but I have to admit, she was my least favorite. She was the least friendly of my birds and she was the egg-eater. Although I will give credit where it's due, the pictures of blue orps are really beautiful.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I love mine, very freindly group of girls and boys even! There always has to be one in every crowd that causes trouble! LOL

6. Xtina

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Of course. And I don't want to act like she was a bad chicken. Just compared to my other two, she was the least able to be caught and the one who enjoyed it the least. In fact, I don't think I got to hold her once in the last year! And if she got into an area she wasn't supposed to, trying to catch her to get her out was downright impossible. And the egg-eating...now that was a serious problem.

I really love how easily handled my barred rock is. She lets me pick her up every single time. Sometimes my RIR protests. The only reason I don't want to go for another barred rock is because I've only owned three breeds to this point and I don't think that's enough breed experience.

7. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Standard cochin? They're not great layers, but are still decent layers, and (in my experience) lay well into the winter without artificial light.

8. Xtina

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Those are pretty! I do want great laying capabilities, but I guess my first concern is those feet feathers. Do they need any care or maintenance on my end?

9. Raen

Raen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Missouri
    I don't have any chickens (yet!) but I'm also looking at breeds and my requirements are the same as yours. A couple that seem good to me, that you haven't mentioned, are Sussex, Wellsummer, and Australorp. Here's the chicken breed chart from this site, if you haven't seen it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/breed-chart

10. Raen

Raen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Missouri
    Sorry, double post

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by