Help me pick button babies

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SterlingRanch, Nov 18, 2014.

1. SterlingRanch

SterlingRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Allen, Tx
    Found some buttons advertised as 'Button Quail - Chinese Painted Quail'. In their ad they included some photos of your typical blue with red-breast CPQ. However google quickly fingered those photos as existing elsewhere so I knew those photos were ripped from somewhere else. I emailed asking for pics of the parents and was surprised to see they actually might have the blue with red-breasted male. That's what I'm after. I've been on a couple of chick id sights but can't seem to figure out how you can tell which ones will be the blue with red breast?!? What color variation is that called? I'm confused as to what color variation is known as the 'Chinese Painted Quail', or the 'Kings Quail' or 'Asian Blue [blue-breasted]'. Anyway, that's the color variation I want. Do you think any of these are that color?

Also they are asking $10 per quail. Is that a fair price? I'm fairly new to quail.

Their pics of the babies [and mother] they sent me:

[​IMG]

Supposedly these are the parents:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  2. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    The regular "wild" type of button quail is the Blue-Breasted Quail. The males have a blue-gray forehead with brown and black head feathers a distinct white bib under the chin and the blue-grey breast, which is where they get the name. Search for wild type and you will see many variations of this coloring. Jodi McDonald has some photos on her site, www.brackenridgeranch.com that are really good. as for which chick is a true wild you will find it hard to tell completely before adult feathering at 5-8 weeks of age. Although some folks will give you their educated (self taught) guess. My guess would be #4. Good luck.

3. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    Hi, mom looks like a cinnamon in the top photo. If that's her in the bottom photo than she looks to be a normal colored hen aka "wild type". The male in the bottom photo looks to be a "wild type" male aka normal. Buttons come in a lot of color varieties. All the current colors stemmed from the wild type and although a button may look one color they may be carrying other colors recessively that you can't see but you'll see in the multiple color of the chicks as it looks like here. #1 looks to be a cinnamon but hard to tell, 3 & 5 are red breasted and #4 is a normal "wild type".

1 person likes this.
  4. SterlingRanch

SterlingRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Allen, Tx
    So 3&5 being the red breasted is probably what I am looking for then.

5. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    the adult male in your photo is a blue breasted aka wild button. the #3 and 5 chicks are red breasted...not blue breasted.
    You can get many different colors from the same adult pair. the only way to get true color is by careful breeding and record keeping. it will take several years to get all one color of chicks, if then depending on the genetics of the adults..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by