Help me pick my best splash silkie roo!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silkieluver_07, Jan 1, 2009.

1. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I'm trying to decide between Waterfall or Rain to keep for my breeding roo. Any suggestions that would help me would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

Waterfall:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rain:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Good luck with picking! THat is always SO hard. I do like the first pic a lot! He is C.U.T.E. But of course they ALL are!

3. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:They hated the camera. They kept swauking and making a racket. [​IMG] It is going to be really hard to choose between them.

4. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Have you used either one yet for breeding? I would test for fertility first and see which one produces the most fertile eggs. Also which one comes closest to the SOP for the breed.

I'm new to silkies so they both look good to me, but the second roo looks to be a little more sturdy than the first one. Are they they the same age?

5. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    If they are the same age I would say the first one, he looks more mature and filled out.

6. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Their both the same age (around 5 months old). Both of them haven't even attemped mating yet, so I'm not positive on fertility. I don't have a SOP yet, so that's mainly why I'm asking the experts on the board. [​IMG]

7. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Rain is more smaller than Waterfall, but I like his personality better. Waterfall just acts crazy and funs away.

8. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I've got to say that the last pic of Waterfall made me LOL! What a great goofy face! [​IMG] And I mean that in a good way! [​IMG] I am not an expert by ANY means, but just looking at the color, it seems that Rain seems a little more smudgy than Waterfall. His color doesn't seem to be as well-defined. That may just be the pics, because you said they weren't thrilled with the camera. [​IMG] Also, I agree that Waterfall is much more "mature" looking and more filled out. He also has a very full top knot and heavy feathering on his feet.

I love the gorgeous white one! WOW! [​IMG]

Anyway, I just wanted to say you had some beautiful birds! [​IMG]

Shelly

9. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Yes, Waterfall is goofy looking in that last picture! The white rooster is Oliver. [​IMG] He has pretty good feathering for a hatchery bird. He's such a darling.

10. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

The first bird is better put together

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by