• Total voters

Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
I think I have it narrowed down to a few choices...the Wyandotte being a large fowl BLRW or White

Requirements:

MUST be cold-hardy (their coop will NOT be insulated or heated)
(aka MUST have a comb other than a single--like rose, walnut, or pea)

MUST be a good range bird (will be out during the days & locked in at night), weather permitting

MUST be a good layer (this will be my source of "farm fresh" eggs for myself and a few customers

MUST be a dual-purpose (I will hatch out many, sell the extra pullets and eat the extra roosters. I will only winter maybe a trio or a quad of the best...

MUST be somewhat friendly...I don't want to have to watch my back the entire time I'm outside

I'd prefer something mellow and slow without being too slow and too mellow...and something that is not a huge breed...I really like Brahmas and wouldn't mind them again but they are just so stinkin' HUGE and eat a lot from November until May!
smile.png

Last edited:
WYANDOTTES!!! Ours layed great this year and had great fertility. The SLWs like to take a little longer in molt than our other birds, but they are so pretty we put up with it. We are going to try processing our first couple roosters this weeekend. They are pretty big birds and weight a ton. Lots of ours freerange during the day and do great in the winter.

I did Leghorn because they are really rare in RC but if you get a variety thats not brown or white then they will be even more rare and you could help them get more popular.

Mrs. Turbo :

WYANDOTTES!!! Ours layed great this year and had great fertility. The SLWs like to take a little longer in molt than our other birds, but they are so pretty we put up with it. We are going to try processing our first couple roosters this weeekend. They are pretty big birds and weight a ton. Lots of ours freerange during the day and do great in the winter.

I have some bantams but they're not laying yet...I do like their personalities, though!​

Quote:
Do they have rosecomb Marans?

I tried the Chants already and wasn't impressed. I got mine from IDEAL (couldn't find the buffs anywhere else). They were flighty and kind of mean (when cornered) and the rooster we gave to my in-laws they said didn't have much meat except the breasts...

Back
Top Bottom