Help me pick the recipe for my first self-processed bird! :)

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by elizabethbinary, Jan 9, 2011.

1. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm not sure what to do. My classic is the classic. A roast chicken - I am no stranger to it. I can do an excellent roast chicken and my oven has a rotisserie setting which just makes the skin crisp up perfectly.

However I feel like maybe I should do something special with them. Dress them all fancy. Make a gorgeous french meal with them. However, not so skilled in this area.

For my first one should I just go with the classic roast or something more....?

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
  3. elizabethbinary

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've made Coq au Vin a couple times and for some reason it never tastes as good as people rave about to me... I would say it's the way I'm making it but I've made it three times now from different recipes. (might be because I don't use bacon/pork though)

I'll look through the page and see if I can find a good one though!!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  4. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I don't like it that way either lol! but you asked for something fancy . . .
    my families favorite way is spatchcocked and cooked with vegis/onions, very simple but beautiful & yummy.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  5. elizabethbinary

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote:Haha well!

You know what... something to be said for the classics and the simples, eh? I think some pearl onions and veggies sound perfect with a nice butterflied and roasted bird. Thank you!

6. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    & lot's of roasted garlic!

7. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

You ladies are right, there is nothing more comforting than a roasted chicken, it spells dinner at home. This southern Italian/Sicilian place I worked at was a restaurant and high end food to go "deli". We sold three types of roasted chickens: our lemon chicken (simply a whole lemon inserted in the cavity before roasting) a rosemary/garlic chicken (whole springs of rosemary and a half a head of garlic) and chicken mattone (or sometimes called brick chicken, my recipe for it is here)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=165040

. Great stuff. I know how to make Coq au Vin but I eat more roasted chickens than I'd ever make Coq au Vin. My wife's on Weight Watchers and we live a lot simpler than I used to say five years ago when I was a bachelor. Good thing too.

There's nothing more down home than fried chicken and dumplings, or taking a roasted bird and making a great chicken soup with a fancy pasta shape to pump it up a little (I like using caviatelli).

Instead of ways to prepare chicken let me link you to some things I'd serve WITH roasted chicken. Some of the photos you'll see use a duck breast as the entree, just replaced it with the cut up roasted bird.
    Big's white and wild rice medley - served with asparagus spears tossed in a tiny bit of butter and lemon zest, some slices of seasonal fruit (in this case Mexican papaya). Really very good.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=171687

Also very good with roasted chicken is a simple pasta dish - I love orichette (which means little ears), it looks sort of like a shell pasta - just start your pasta in the cooking water and by the time it's done the "condiment" for it is ready too. Orichette pasta with onions and peas:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=167454

Another way to cook chicken would be the ala cacciatore

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=171661

And another whole avenue to go down is a Chilean dish called Cazuela, where the chicken parts are combined with other ingredients (onions, squash, corn, ect.) to make a simple healthy dish. Once made it's served in a wide bowl on a plate, some folks eat it right out of the bowl, some take the chicken and large cut vegetables out - then eat the soup first and finish with the remains on the plate, it's a very healthy dish that is so good and pretty easy:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=164659

Have a look at some of these ideas, and good luck

Michael

8. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    so what does the brick do? the recipe sounds great, really a lot like the way I spatchcock a bird, so I am just wondering; I mena i get that it flattens it a bit, but how does that affect the cooking? just curious, I love to learn new things but always want to know why [​IMG] the nuns hated me when I was growing up [​IMG]

9. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I love me some "flat-a$$ chicken" as DH calls it [​IMG]

Just make sure to let that birdie rest a few days in the fridge, it will be well worth it! Same day eating is, well, meh. Not very good.

[​IMG]

I cheated. I used the turkey roaster, put the taters and onions under him, and roasted away. He was tasty, and so were the taters and onions!

10. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    hmmm . . . the roaster idea is a good one I think! If I even say flat [email protected] chicken myfamily will call it that forever, they are bad enough with spatchcocked [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by