Help me pick which project to work on! Advice WANTED

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by boykin2010, Oct 4, 2011.

  1. boykin2010

    boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,923
    69
    188
    Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I would like to think of a really cool project for me to work on over the years.
    I am not totally sure what i need to do so that i why i am asking.
    1. At first thought i wanted to take a silkie rooster and mate him with black copper maran hens( or another color of maran that would work best) Then take the resulting offspring and cross them with different colored easter eggers or if i can find some good purebred ameraucanas, then possibly those. That would make a funky-looking crested bird that laid olive eggs.
    Can any of you see this working out? Has anybody already done this cross?

    I guess what i am really looking to get out of this is a funky looking cross. Crested, feathered legs, olive colored eggs and the possibility to go broody.
    To have this work out, what silkie rooster color would you start out with?
    It would be even better to make them sex-linked or the ability to be sexed at a young age.

    2. Another possibility for a project could involve some cream legbars. I am getting a juvenile pair of them in a week. After a while when of selling eggs from them and hatch chicks from them, i could take some of the chicks i hatch and set them apart and use them for projects.
    Cream legbars already have the crests and lay blue eggs. Maybe i could mix those with nice marans then with a silkie. After i added the maran and silkie genes to the genepool is there any way the offspring would still be auto- sexing?

    Let me know what you think of ideas. Which one would work better, or anything that needs to be done or tweaked in the process. Id also like to meet others that may have similiar crosses.
    Thanks
     
  2. maybejoey

    maybejoey got chickenidous?

    Not very good with crosses or what the turn out will be. But I would love to have a silkie that lays blue or green eggs and has fluffy legs.[​IMG]
     
  3. boykin2010

    boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,923
    69
    188
    Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I know i would too! They would probably turn out to be the ugliest little things ever. I really would like some that laid olive eggs too.
    Im interested to see if they would still be auto sexing if i made the cross involving the cream legbars
     
  4. Illia

    Illia Crazy for Colors

    16,242
    105
    336
    Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Crested funky lookin' bird with olive eggs and likely feathered legs?


    I'm already there. [​IMG] I have a girl who's 1/2 Ameraucana 1/2 Polish and a cockerel who's 1/2 Marans, 1/2 Polish (you really don't need a Silkie) - Together they'll give me a 25% chance of an Olive Egger, with 75% of that a crested bird and 25% of it a feather-legged bird.

    Plus the colors I'm using, a small portion will be Gold Laced, small portion Black Copper, and small portion a neat cross of the two, a sort of mock-double Gold Laced. Also a small portion will be mottled.


    So technically I'm not completely there yet but just a large batch of eggs to hatch away. [​IMG]
     
  5. boykin2010

    boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,923
    69
    188
    Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Very neat! I would love to see photos of these and the chicks that hatch. I was adding the silkie because i wanted to add the characteristics of being broody.
    Since everyone says you are the genetics expert, will a cream legbar mixed with a silkie then mixed with copper maran still be sex linked or auto sexing? I am guessing they would keep the crested trait and have the feathered leg trait from the silkie??? The only reason for adding the copper maran was to get an olive egger.
     
  6. Illia

    Illia Crazy for Colors

    16,242
    105
    336
    Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Ameraucanas and Marans are almost as broody as Silkies. [​IMG] Some are as broody as Silkies.



    I really don't know much about the auto-sexing of a Legbar, but you can always add the barring gene in so you can sex them at hatch based on the size of the white dot on the head.



    This is dad to my future OE's.

    [​IMG]

    This is mom.

    [​IMG]


    The barring you can get from Crele Penedesencas, Cuckoo Marans (but go with feather-legged ones!) as well as White Crested Cuckoo Polish and Crele Project Polish.
     
  7. flowerchild59

    flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,151
    12
    161
    Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Quote:Illia, what beautiful birds.
     
  8. rebel-rousing-at-night

    rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

    Quote:Illia, what beautiful birds.

    FOR SURE!
     
  9. nicalandia

    nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

    6,337
    318
    288
    Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:you could try to make Pink Silkies...
    [​IMG]

    or Silver Spangled Cochins.?(don't mind the comb)
    [​IMG]


    I can give you some genetic tips cool:
     
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by