help me plan for spring!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickensducks&agoose, Sep 8, 2010.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I just discovered that we've lost our Spitzhauben (very, very sad), and am now planning for next spring. I want to get 6 hens, one spitzhauben, one of those brabanters, and 4 that lay well. we've already got a good assortment of birds, from cochins to EEs to brahma and fayoumis... what do you think we should get?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Where are you planning on ordering from? [​IMG]

3. chickensducks&agoose

I don't know, probably Ideal. I couldn't find spitzhaubens at McMurrays.

4. UGAchick

UGAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Maybe something Frizzle?? I love seeing that variety in a backyard flock

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Get some Chanteclers, Faverolles, and Barnevelders. They're beautiful, and I'm pretty sure they all tend to be nice and calm.

7. chickensducks&agoose

Im thinking about a spitzhauben, a jaerhorn, a delaware and a sussex... and 2 more. I've got 2 chanteclers and they're good birds. I also have a faverolle, which is the stupidest, weirdest chicken I've ever seen... it's really likely that it's just this particular bird, she had a rough start... but I'd have to see/hear a bunch of good things about faverolles before I'd consider getting another! And Barnvelders, those sound great! I live where it often gets below -10 degrees in winter, so winterhardy is really important. frostbite is rare, but I have had it happen to a roo once. I love planning for spring... although I do have 4 chicks under a lamp in the coop right now...

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    chickensducks&agoose :

I live where it often gets below -10 degrees in winter, so winterhardy is really important.

GLWs are beautiful and winter-hardy!!!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by