HELP ME PLASE!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elliotemery, Nov 29, 2014.

1. elliotemery

elliotemery Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    i have just brough a new lohmman brown chicken and i already have a black rock/black start chicken and i have just put them intogether an within being together for 2 mins they have started to fight viciously. so i have locked the black star in the cook and kept the lohmman in the run, seaperatly. PLASE HELP ME i dont know what to do. either just let them sort it out them selves or something else.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

They are working out the pecking order. They will work it out. Separate them if you see blood.

3. elliotemery

May 28, 2014
    ok then should i put them back together and because it is getting dark now?

4. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Yes. Put them on the roost. They will fight at first, but they will work out dominance pecking order issues, and then that is usually that. Occasionally, there can be a bully but chickens are social animals- they normally prefer friends. If someone gets bloody, remove them, clean it, and put some blue kote on the wound, and try again.

5. elliotemery

May 28, 2014
    what is a blue kote? i have just checked on them again and my old one has gone up to roost but the new one is still down and looks a little unhappy. ill check again in 15 minutes and if the new one isnt up then should i put here to roost?
    thanks you have helped me a lot!

6. elliotemery

May 28, 2014
    ???????

7. elliotemery

May 28, 2014
    How long Should the it for there to be a pecking order because when I let them back out this morning my old chicken wouldn't let the new chicken feed and the new one keeps running up to the coop

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

They will squabble until one of them decides the other one is the boss. Provide two feeding areas and two watering areas. Unless you see blood, i wouldn't worry.

9. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Pecking order is always around all chickens at all times. It's their hierarchy; a determination of who is more dominate, so the older/stronger/wiser call the shots more. Some chickens at the top are fair, and some can be bullies. They need to have time to work out their issues to learn to live together. Sometimes there can be minor flare ups down the road, or occasional fights.

In this instance, they need to be able to integrate in together, so having a few food and water stations, places to hide (like a pallet or heavy board leaned again a wall) help. And multiple nests can alleviate some stress for lower ranked members.

Here's a link to blue kote. This inexpensive product helps to dress wounds in blue color and a bad taste, so other birds don't continue to peck at wounds and worsen the condition. Chickens love to peck at red.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/Search...rch&catalogId=10051&searchType=1000&langId=-1

Some chickens can at times be very cruel to each other.

Recently, we had a RIR juvie fall and get stuck between a fence and a pallet. This is the first time we ever had it happen. When she tried to retract her wing, she locked her wing in the fence hole instead. A few of our free range cockerels saw her distress, and ran up and started pecking her until she bled. When I came outside and heard her cries, her wing was plucked and half gone, with large gouges under her wing pit and on her body side. I shudder to think what would've happened had I come outside just an hour later instead of when I did.

Poor girl. Had she been just a few weeks older, the whole issue wouldn't have happened as she would've been too large to get stuck. We've since moved the pallets anyway, so it can't happen again. After a month of healing, and blue kote, she's doing well. (So she won't peck herself) It will be awhile before we know if she can fly again.

This is the first time any of our birds did something like this, and the two boys who did this have never shown aggression before, nor afterward. It was more opportunity I think.

10. elliotemery

May 28, 2014
    thanks again for your help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by