help me please ,bloody hen poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ryansmommy83, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ryansmommy83

ryansmommy83 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    southern california
    One of my hens i dont which one has really really bloody poop and I have no idea what to do . please please help me . this is the first time ive ever seen blood in the coop . please help me

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. ryansmommy83

Mar 8, 2009
    southern california
    hello ? please anyone ?>

3. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    It sounds like she may have cocci. You can treat her very successfully for this, so don't panic, with a specific cocci medication in her water. You could also fed the entire flock (it is contagious) a medicated chick starter.
    Good luck!

4. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    It sounds like a day of watching them closely so that you can find out who is in trouble and give a general assessment and find out how serious the problem is. Most members will give aid if they have something to work with. Good luck!

5. ryansmommy83

Mar 8, 2009
    southern california
    It was like a huge puddel of blood mixed with poop. I mean it was like if someone poured a cup of blood under there roost.

6. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    I personally do not think treating them for cocci can do any harm. I've seen it involve quite a bit of blood at times and I hope that's all it is for you. You use your own judgment on this and good luck!

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    I too was going to sugest coccidia. It is a micscopic parisite that live and reeks havoc on the digestive tract of all animals and is quite contagious. Treat with a sulfer based water soluable medication, there are quite a few out there. Common signs are diareaha, with blood, weight loss, and lack of energy.
    If you have a local vet who will see poultry, they can do a quick picky swab and look under a microscpe and tell you for sure if it is coccidia. Medicated feed is also a great help . Also, if it is coccidia, treat all your birds as they all are now exposed to it, dont mean to scare you, but it needs to be done, untreated, it will kill them in most cases, again, this if it is coccidia (cocci)
    Good luck,
    Aubrey

8. hencam

hencam Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2007
    Massachusetts
  9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I'm on a worm kick after having lost a hen recently to roundworms. I learned in doing research that coccidiosis and roundworms often happen in conjunction, as the carriers (mostly ground-dwelling bugs) typically have both.

Treating for cocci is a good step. Give the hen lots of yogurt - this provides beneficial bacteria for their intestines - and keep a close eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by