Help me please!!! My chick is bleeding!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PoultryQueen29, Oct 25, 2011.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    My chicks are 3 weeks old. I have 1 barred rock and 1 ameraucana. The ameraucana is pecking my poor little barred rock's beak right under it's nostril and it's bleeding now so it looks like a bloody nose. I dont know what to do because anything I put on the cut will be inhaled by the chick through it's nose. What should I do?

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    First, separate them. You may be able to get by with just wiping off the blood. Once she stops getting pecked, it should dry and heal on its own.

3. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    First, separate them. You may be able to get by with just wiping off the blood. Once she stops getting pecked, it should dry and heal on its own.

Ok should I keep them seperate for a while or just wipe the blood off and put them together again?​

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Ok should I keep them seperate for a while or just wipe the blood off and put them together again?

Seperate for a while. Chickens have an unfortunate habit of pecking at blood, so they'll turn a small injury into a major problem in no time flat, so it's best to keep any chicks with open wounds seperated until the wound heals. You can keep her in the same brooder, just section off an area for her with some wire or something, so she doesn't feel completely alone.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Keep them separate until that bloody spot is fully healed and not red anymore. When you do put them back together, be sure to watch carefully. Chickens naturally peck at the color red. Once the red is gone and the beak healed, everything should be fine.

6. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'll just separate them with some wire for a while then. Thanks for the help!

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Hope all goes well. [​IMG]

8. simplysophie

simplysophie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    Definitely separate them. But if you can, make a way for them to be able to see each other. And this might allow pecking order to be established without too much blood. Wipe up the blood and keep an eye on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by