Help me please--my eggs are hatching but the chicks are upside down!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AHDCST, Feb 15, 2012.

1. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG]The eggs are on day 20. They are trying to chisel away the large end of the egg. Two of them have done so and hit their blood supply. I helped those 2 but several more are doing the same thing. Any suggestions?

2. KLRA

KLRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    Are you worried about them zipping while they still have active blood vessels and losing blood? How much blood is there? And why do you say that they're upside down?

3. AHDCST

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    They are unzipping the large end of the shell. I picked one of them up and blood dripped out of the shell. I have hatched hundreds of eggs and they have always unzipped the smaller end of the shell and then they push the large end off with their feet. These are unzipping and their heads are at the large end so all i see is little feet sticking out. I am afraid they will bleed to death or sufficate. The shell is getting very dry and sticking to them. I am misting them with warm water when I do open the incubator to check on them.

4. AHDCST

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] Well after a long day and multiple assists on hatching I ended up with 11 chicks. There is 1 Dominique, 1 BLRW, 2 BB Reds, 1 Self Blue and 6 RIRs. I don't think the equipment was working properly as the membranes of the chicks were drying and sticking to the them. I had to peel away the membrane and shell of most of the chicks. I usually have a much better hatch rate then I did today. All are up and moving about and acting good so far. I have a second batch already going in the second incubator so I only have 3 weeks to figure out if the equipment is right. Every single one of the chicks that hatched did so the opposite of what I am used to them doing. They were unzipping the large end of the shell. It was taking them more then double the time and they were getting dry and very tired before they could hatch. I have never sen them do this before. I am used to watching them go around the smaller end and then push the large end off with their feet. This time they unzipped the large end of the shell and they pushed the large end off but were still sitting in the shell. I think I got that right. I was up all night and all day watching the little darlings and helping them hatch.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Uh...they are hatching at the correct end. [​IMG] The large/blunt end is where they should zip & emerge from. The ones that bled...were they assisted hatches? Usually that's the cause of bleeds. There's the rare pip into a blood vessel but usually hatches left to hatch on their own do not bleed. You said one dripped blood when you picked it up. Why did you pick it up? They ideally should be left alone and untouched while in lockdown.

But yeah, the blunt/large end is the correct hatching end.

6. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Also if the membranes were dry it was from your humidity beign too low (not necessarily equipment failure). Do you have a hygrometer? Maybe you didn't have enough water in the bator.

I;ve never seen a chick kick the shell off. They always open the big end for me, then just wiggle out. I;ve had one zip the wrong end (pointy/small) and it died.

7. AHDCST

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    All of the chicks I have had hatch have unzipped the small end of the egg. I even asked my husband to be sure I wasn't thinking wrong. I do not "lockdown" my eggs. I would much rather help them if they get into trouble and give them a chance then stand by and watch them die. Yes I had a meter testing the humidity. I had the wells full and even laid sponges that were full of water in the bottom. They only thing I can think is it has been very dry here outside. We have had rain on the radar that was absorbed before it hit the ground. I have never had any eggs hatching when it was dry outside.By assist I mean I make sure the membrane isn't dry or stuck to the chick I have only pulled any shell off once and that chick went on to lay eggs of her own. The one that dripped blood had only unzipped the shell in a small area when I picked it up. I remove them from the incubator when they hatch or they bumble around and bump into the other eggs and make it more difficult for the rest to hatch.I have 40 eggs in the other incubator that should hatch around March 4'th or 5'th. I appreciate all the suggestions. Thanks,

8. catdogme1

catdogme1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2014
    My goose is hatching upside down help

9. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Can you post a picture? At the small end of the egg? Or on the bottom of the egg? Is there any blood or liquid leaking out? Is the baby chirping or breathing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by