HELP ME PLEASE!! Totally confused!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by StephensonC, Nov 25, 2014.

1. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I put my eggs in a Little Giant still air bator Sunday morning, for the first time ever. I've read and seen so much, and now I'm totally confused. I'm reading where I shouldn't trust the built in thermometer, and it's been reading 99.5 the entire time. The digital thermometer is reading 94. So, which is it? Should I not be going by the bator thermometer? Is there any chance that the eggs are still ok?
    P.S. I am desperate for answers!!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    LOL, that is the yolk, it looks like you are holding the egg upside down in the picture. I will tell you what i am told, go get another thermometer. in the fish isle at wal-mart or such they have them you can lay along side the egg and it will give you a better idea of the internal temp. of the egg. the ones with the green suction cup on them. if you can see it. I cant. still air temps are recommended to be a bit higher too. i am not going to give you a temp. because i have forgotten what it should be but i keep mine at 100.

3. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    ok, I give up. where did you hide the egg pics.?

4. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    LOL...I removed them because I felt silly for not knowing something so simple. So, I went and looked at a few eggs again, and I could see exactly where the air sac was and the yolk. I guess practice makes perfect. Thank you so much for your reply!! I may have more questions during the next few days. I'm pretty certain that I will...lol Do you think the eggs will be ok from the low temp? I have since bumped it up to 100.4.

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    yes, i think they will be fine. too cool is better then too hot..

1 person likes this.
  6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    X2 with Granny. Lower temps are not as dangerous as too higher temps. Your eggs should be fine. Still air should be higher than forced air as Granny said. The temp should be measured at the top of the eggs for still air because the air and heat is not forced around the incubator.
    Wishing you the very best of luck :fl

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You will find better thermometers in the hard ware department at Wal~Mart. There should be thermometer/hygrometer combos there. I keep at least 2 of them in each incubator. The best thing to do with the thermometer that came with the incubator is throw it in the trash!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by