1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me please with this simple question about eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by austinmob, Feb 21, 2013.

1. austinmob

austinmob New Egg

Feb 21, 2013
    Blackfoot, ID
    I ordered 24 eggs from a Farm that is on this site. We hatched 3. The others did not develop at all. Not even a drop of blood in 20 of the eggs. Now from what I can tell they were not fertilized.

I have 40 Hens in my flock and they are an awesome flock. Not my first time. We also have order large numbers of fertilized eggs to give to local schools so they can raise them in their 4th Grade classes, to much success. This also helps to spread the hobby. So this is also not the first time we have ordered eggs.

So please tell me what you think I should do about such a high number of non-fertilized eggs.

Thanks to everyone.

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Where did you order them from? I have heard one of the hatcheries uses a farm that is notorious for shipping unfertilized eggs.

3. austinmob

austinmob New Egg

Feb 21, 2013
    Blackfoot, ID
    It was from Huckleberry Farms. We were talking to them but once we told them the eggs were not fertilized they stopped talking to us.

4. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    That isn't a name I recognize, but if they stopped responding at "You're eggs aren't fertilized." That tells you something right there.

5. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Not a whole lot you can do. When you order eggs it is a risk, and a lot of companies hide behind that we don't guarantee hatch rates clause. It doesn't matter why the eggs didn't hatch..they don't even guarantee fertility...so there are no guarantees on anything except omelets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by