help me please!!!!

chickencoop13

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
nh
ok so a few weeks ago one of my chicks couldnt walk for a few days she had her logs behind her and couldnt walk so i brought her in the house and she just died and this morning i went to water the chicks outside and on was laying on the floor with its legs behind it not able to walk and she died tonight whats the matter one more is actin like it tonight help!!!!!!!!!!!

I have read a lot of threads on this lately. I will try and find them again and post them soon.
Sorry for your losses! It's really hard to loose them.
hugs.gif

If these are young chicks, it's probably a vitamin deficiency. Use Polyvisol infant vitamins without iron (available at your local pharmacy, Wal-Mart, etc.). Put 1 dropper full in a 1 quart water fount to treat all your chicks or 2 drops directly into the mouth of sickly chicks two times per day for at least two weeks. If these are not young chicks (close to laying age) it may be a more serious problem. Post again with more info re: age, what you are feeding, and any other symptoms other than the paralysis (like diarrhea, sneezing, runny eyes or nose, etc.)

I second mother Jean on the poly vi sol. You may have to use a dropper to give it to them. When I mixed some in the water of a sick chick, she quit drinking. Didn't like the taste of it I guess! I just gave a drop on her beak line twice a day.

Please give us more information. Housing, temperature, what type of bedding, food, etc. Do look for other symptoms. What does their poop look like? Are They vaccinated for anything? Do they get medicated feed? How old are they? Give us as much information as you can.

Good luck.

they are three and a half months old and both the one that died were as healthy looking as ever other than not walking i am feeding chick starter they have pine bedding and its definatley not to hot in the coop

3 1/2 months is pushing the outside envelope for age sensitivity to vitamin deficiency. Apparently, as chickens mature their vitamin requirements are less than for young chicks and are less likely to show symptoms of deficiency. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try the vitamin therapy, but it may not help, either. As Murano points out, it could be something much more serious (like Marek's Disease), however you description of both legs behind them puts me in mind of a photo I saw of a bird dying from Avian Influenza (Bird Flu). I think this disease is reportable to the USDA and your State Vet may be able to advise you on other possible causes. If you have another bird that is going downhill, you might consider sending that one to the State lab for euthanasia and postmortem exam so you can get a definite diagnosis. If done through your Ag Dept. or State Vet, the testing is generally free. Here's an toll free number for you to contact the USDA for help:

To Reach USDA Veterinarians
Toll-free

1-866-536-7593

You may also contact your local agricultural extension agency and they will help to put you in contact with your State Vet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom