Help Me PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bufforpingtons13, Mar 13, 2011.

1. bufforpingtons13

bufforpingtons13 In the Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    I went up to my coop today and found a hen by the water with her mouth open and she was breathing hard. I cought her and brought her to my garage and i turned her up by her feet and a bunch of gooey watery stuff came out of her mouth. I put her in a cage by herself, and when i checked on her again her poop was watery. What do you yhink is wrong?????????????????????

2. Thegrayeyedgirl

Thegrayeyedgirl Chirping

Jan 14, 2011
    The moment you mentioned that gooey/watery stuff came out of her mouth, I immediately thought Congestive Heart failure. But with diarrhea? I'm not sure. A chicken expert may know better. I'm a nursing student for people...but I know chickens get CHF too..how old is she?

Edited for spelling

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  3. bufforpingtons13

Oct 26, 2010
    Quote:She is 6 months old and was completely fine yesterday........but like i said she was right beside the water.

4. tammye

tammye Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    not sure may be a respiratory illness, at least isolate her from the others, only other thought might be impacted crop, hope someone here can help you. but you can look either of these posssibilities up in the search engine and see if her symptoms fit. hope she does ok

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

could be a crop issue also hows her crop feel?

6. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    sounds like sour crop to me [​IMG] try tipping her upside down and pressing gently on her crop. if the liquid comes out of her mouth again, that is sour crop. seperate her from the flock and keep her warm. with hold food for a couple days, but give her plenty of water with apple cider vinigar in it (put a tablespoon per cup of water) she should get better soon. it might be a good idea to give the rest of the flock some apple cider vinigar, also. i find that if the flock doesn't have access to water constantly enough (usually in winter and mid-summer when it's hard to change the water often enough) is more susceptible to sour crop. let us know if she gets any worse!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

8. bufforpingtons13

Oct 26, 2010
    Well guys i tried but she died anyway. Thanks.

9. kidd42

kidd42 Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Sorry to hear that you lost her.

10. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Songster

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Stilldo the crop thing to make sure she could have had sour crop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: