HELP me plez 911... I know my sweet girl could be dying very very soon... My mom told she heard ep

Sweet Honey

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 6, 2013
She has been very lethargic.. falling over her cone is flopped over stay away standing... I heard a Epsom bath can do wonders... I need to know ASAP about this ?? don't want to make things worst.. She trys to eat some which is good but she is week.. I know HELP... plez she was my 1st hen... RIR my sweet honey

She has been very lethargic.. falling over her cone is flopped over stay away standing... I heard a Epsom bath can do wonders... I need to know ASAP about this ?? don't want to make things worst.. She trys to eat some which is good but she is week.. I know HELP... plez she was my 1st hen... RIR my sweet honey

Deep breath - we will be happy to try to help you to help your sweet Honey, but we will need a lot more information to start to advise you on the best approach to take.
How old is the bird?
How long has it been that you have noted a change in her?
What do you think is wrong with her that has lead you to consider an Epsom soak? While it can help in some situations, it may be completely ineffective, or even worsen some situations. Do you believe her to be egg bound? If so, what lead you to that conclusion - have you actually felt an egg that has become lodged?
Is there any discharge from her beak, eyes, nostrils or vent?
Have you determined that there are no internal or external parasite issues?
What does her breathing sound like?
Is there a foul odor coming from her beak or vent?

The first step is to take her inside and put her in a calm, quiet, dark place where you can provide good supportive care - it may be necessary to use supplemental heat to help her maintain her body temperature and you will want to focus first on hydration and then nutrition. You can use a little sugar water, electrolyte liquid, etc to help her hydrate - a dehydrated system cannot process nutrition so not eating is less of a concern than not drinking. To help with hydration *and* nutrition you can soak feed in your "boosted" water and offer a nice, wet gruel. Good supportive care can buy you time to sort out what is causing her decline so you can then begin treatment of the cause.

She is only 3.... always healthy... nothing wrong with any of the areas you asked.... .. Just very week falls over cone over.. no vent prob... .. My mom who is a koo koo lol said she read on here and she saw something about Ep salt bath.. that's all.. I didn't dare do it... I wanted to get on my sight and ask one of you chicky angels.. she is a RIR... oh he and others love there blueberrys.. she had a few this AM but held one in her beak for about 45 sec... before swallowing.. OK I just looked outsid saw her drinking the blueberry water.. I always put water in with blueberrys when I give it to all the gals I just made up some sugar water.. just I run out know and give her some

Truthfully, the floppy comb is what concerns me. Is it a bluish color? If so, that could mean her heart is giving out. A 3 year old chicken is an elderly chicken. There are exceptions, but I have had a lot of chickens just die for no apparent reason between 3-4 years old. I have one now, that is three, and I know is living on borrowed time.

Mrs K

Quote: When you said the above were you saying that the bird, herself, is falling over and the comb is then flopping over as well - or that the comb is falling over and staying flopped over?

Ol Grey Mare, Well thx.. I gave her some sugar water// she had about 5 sips total with me there with her.. wiped her feet off with warm Epsom salts she was in her kennel area .. large 20x20 chain link kennel where hey live with their big nesting boxes above ground about 3 feet .. which door is wide open today.. Honey and the other 2 girls were in there eating a bit...that's . where they sleep and lay at night roosting time until the morning.. and is all secure at bottom and on roof top so no predators can get them.. during the day usually out... ...... The 2 other girls saw me came running like Koo KOo crazy chicken's as usual around here thinking I had more blueberries.. LOl They are Crazy for blueberries... Most chickens are I have found..... Well wiped her HONEYs feet while in there... then she followed me with others .. I snuck the sugar water into the blueberry water that was left over this morning... Honey drank alittle on her own only because she thought it as blueberry water only haha... Just looked out she is just standing there like she has been... very worried..... But she did eat when I put mash down by water in yard where and everyone was eating it like scratch.. Question?? honeys feet are very dull almost white.. I know that's not good... Wondering on what you said about bringing in where warm and calm... tonight? ?? tonight low is 34.. not to bad been hat chilly several times this month... But tomorrow in low 20s as well as wed day.. Should I bring her in FORSURE?? this evening? and Should I bring in my other 2 white star sex-linked on the 20s nights... The just started laying eggs about Oct. They are precious...got them end of April very very young like 1 week 2 tops. het lamp seemed like a life time with them back then... had them in my spare bathroom whole time with lamp.... Well if this 20s cold coming should I bring them in also... That pretty darn cold.. Even tho I know how hardy some can be...... Oh I ive on the coast of NC in Wilmington the beach.. That's why I asked about the 20s temp.. for the 2 other girls.. I know Im bring Honey in.... I have had other chickens besides Honey and these 2 other sweet girls.. Oh if this means anything?? I just lost a leghorn about a month ago... She I rescued .. Never was able to touch her cared of everything .. Bt she had a good short life with me.. about 1 1/2 cant remember,, She had been a laying machine before I got her.."named KK koo koo chicken" she laid eggs for a little while back then .. Then nothing but brooding .. Never another egg.. I found her laying in dirt couldn't stand up and she let me hold her.., It came out of no here.. She had been looking kind of crappy for a while.. She turned all grey seemed like over night... VERY strange... Honey had been lookin totally not her self BUT not like now... Wondering on top o maybe something serious wrong we don't know about could she had become depressed over KK ? .. And has just got worst... they were big buddies

Back
Top Bottom