1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

* Help me PREVENT Shrink Wrap *

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickie_mama, May 17, 2009.

1. chickie_mama

chickie_mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    I have eggs that I am moving to the hatcher today. Most have large air sacs. What do I need to do to keep these babies from being shrink wrapped???????

My past hatch had 10 eggs and I only got 2 babies due to the large air sacs and shrink wrappage. The 2 babies that did hatch had to have intervention or they would have fallen victim too. [​IMG]

Any suggestions??????

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    You must have had low humidity during the incubation period, if they have lost that much moisture there isnt anything to get it back in the egg, raise your humidity in hatcher and hope for the best. [​IMG]

3. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    What % was your humidity at during incubation on this hatch ?

4. chickie_mama

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    This go around, incubation humidity hovered around 30%.

5. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    30% seems low to me

If you are having trouble with humidity, you could try weighing your eggs and adjusting your humidity to make them lose weight at an even rate. From start to finish they are supposed to lose 16%.

It would help you figure out what humidity you should really be at.

I keep my first 18 days between 35% and 45%, depending on how fast the air cell is getting bigger. If it seems large I raise the humidity.

And to hatch I'm between 60% and 65%. They seem to slip out easily with no problems at that humidity for me.

Good luck.

6. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    For hatching mine is running between 55 & 60 % . So far seems to be looking good. I have babies.

7. chickie_mama

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    I will raise the humidity in the incubator for the remaining eggs and raise in hatcher for this go around.

[​IMG] Maybe I will have chickie babies in 3 days. I candled just before I put in hatcher and there was still movement in the eggs.

Come on babies!!!!

8. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Sounds good, good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by