HELP me save my chick!

Kim W

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2021
I brought home some olive egger chicks yesterday and one was noticeably quieter and weak. She would fall over when bumped, is very lethargic, not eating or drinking unless I do it and today I found her on her back and notable to get up. She was shaking and looked like her feet where clenched and seizing. I gave her some gatorade for electrolytes and a little boost, but she is still very tired. I keep her on my lap in a blanket and a heating pad. I've read that I can try to give catfood? What else can I do?

Attachments

• 20210404_172928.jpg
    20210404_172928.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 13
I am sorry you are experiencing this. I wish I knew more and could help you. Hoepfully, someone will have some good suggestions.

I brought home some olive egger chicks yesterday and one was noticeably quieter and weak. She would fall over when bumped, is very lethargic, not eating or drinking unless I do it and today I found her on her back and notable to get up. She was shaking and looked like her feet where clenched and seizing. I gave her some gatorade for electrolytes and a little boost, but she is still very tired. I keep her on my lap in a blanket and a heating pad. I've read that I can try to give catfood? What else can I do?
Nutri-Drench doesn't have to be digested in order to get into her bloodstream. It is your best bet at this time.
No you should not give it cat food. Chick feed is what it needs.

Sweet baby 😍 That's a hard one bc you don't know what has gone on before you got the chick. Always check for pasty butt, clean if it's blocked. Electrolytes, food and heat are the best course of action. Seperate from the other chicks so the chick can heal without getting trampled or picked on and monitor from there.

When did she start acting like this
She was like this when I picked her up yesterday from the store. She just seemed alot more docile than the others. But then when I put her in the brooder, I noticed her getting knocked around alot, and not eating as much as the others.

Nutri-Drench doesn't have to be digested in order to get into her bloodstream. It is your best bet at this time.
No you should not give it cat food. Chick feed is what it needs.
I dont have drench, but could I make some mash with the chick feed?

I dont have drench, but could I make some mash with the chick feed?
You have to be extremely careful forcing anything in to a chick's mouth. One drop down the wrong pipe and you'll kill it.

I dont want to sound negative, but Unfortunately chicks like this sometimes are just born weak and unwell. You can certainly try the electrolyte and nutridrench and hope for the best. Usually they don't make it at this point, but I hope your little one makes it.
This is not negative. It's true.

Back
Top Bottom