Help me SAVE my chicken who I think has Gapeworm

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beverly0223, Nov 24, 2012.

1. beverly0223

beverly0223 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    I have read and read and read... but still not sure what to DO... She isn't really eating or drinking... 1 lb 5 mo old bantam... over a day now... some strange noises and open mouth gasps. We can't "see" anything in her throat. I have a tiny bit of ultra guard plus here. (pyrantel pamoate) will this kill the worm(s)? Will it kill my already sick bird? How can I get her to take it as she seems to be not able to swallow possibly. I have NO money for a vet or to drive 25 miles to town and purchase anything if there is any way to avoid it. I really want to treat all my birds, but will have to wait until next week when the finances come in... BUT... if it would save her life, i could probably borrow a small amt of cash if this Ultraguard plus won't do it and something else will... Thank you kindly! Be Blessed! Beverly G.

2. Beaky Buzzard

Beaky Buzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

This is just a bump. i wish i could help. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. pwood220

pwood220 New Egg

Aug 21, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  4. beverly0223

Oct 1, 2012
    Oh Thank you, you're very kind. I can look, but I do think I've read all of the posts with the word gapeworm in them!! I read for two days and my eyeballs are crossed! I finally decided to give her the Ultraguard plus dog wormer, @ 1 tsp per 5 lb, (which is 1ml per lb and we weighed her at 1lb, so 1ml!) We managed to get it into her, and she did take 8-9 bites of food (I mixed up some baby applesauce and yogurt with a little cracked corn for her) and she's now sleeping on my dresser!! She seems to be a little more comfortable, so I guess I'll see how she is in the morning!
    Very soon I guess I'll be worming ALL of them, and hope I caught it in time.... I've had bantams on and off for 7 yrs or so, but never had any issues with worms that I know of... I'm thinking safeguard goat wormer, have never used a skin type tho, that seems like it would be much easier.... any input will be appreciated!! Thanks! and...
    Thanks for responding! Be Blessed! :)
    Beverly G.

5. Beaky Buzzard

Keep me updated please! =)

1 person likes this.
  6. beverly0223

Oct 1, 2012
    Well, I'm very [​IMG] to report, she is back to normal, Sassy as ever!![​IMG] LOL! I still have her indoors for the moment, maybe another day or so... but she seemed horrible yesterday morning, making awful gurgling sounds... and a couple hours later, ravished and eating everything she could get her beak on! :) We beat the odds! It said once the get to point of not eating/drinking they USUALLY don't make it!
    I KNOW... prayer works! [​IMG]
    (More of my chickens are healed by [​IMG] and loving care!! [​IMG] )
    Be Blessed! [​IMG]Thanks for caring!!
    Bev

7. Beaky Buzzard

So glad to hear this!!! I was wondering how things were going!!! And as you said God answers prayers!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. beverly0223

Oct 1, 2012
    Well if anyone else can benefit from our success... all the better! One ml of ultraguard plus per lb of chicken!! Fed her yogurt and applesauce and some DE with a little mash while i kept her indoors and resting.....plus Prayer! [​IMG] Worked for us!!

9. Beaky Buzzard

[​IMG]Thank goodness I have never had problems with worms, but if i ever do i might try your tactics!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Just be careful! I had a hen who i thought had gapeworm and just let it clear up overnight and the next day she was fine. a week later she was sneezing blood and had foamy eyes which is coryza

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by