Help me save my daughters pet snowball! (lots of pictures)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mycutekitties, Oct 5, 2011.

1. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    I might be over reacting but I don't know what's up with Snowball. She was in a pen of 6 other Cochins (2 are males) that are all the same age (6 months). A few days ago I noticed she was getting picked on by some of the others. Then I noticed her hunched in the corner of the pen like she got beat up. I took her out and she was limping and I noticed a small "thing" on the top of her comb. My 1st thought was someone pecked at it but I am super paranoid and then I thought what if it's pox? And what if she is limping because of an illness? UGGH!! So I moved her out of the cage and she is alone at the back of the proprety until I know what's up. Does her comb look like fowl pox? I looked at a thread here and it's hard to tell. This is our PET please help!
    This is Snowball
    [​IMG]
    I tried to take up close pics but it's hard to see and small.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My daughter with Snowball 4 weeks ago
    [​IMG]

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Pecking causes bruises on the comb, so it might be bruises- if she's separated see her poops and how she's eating/drinking and how active/alert she is.

3. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    It could be that she got pecked. We have a few with spots on them right now because they are working out the pecking order in the babies coop. (They aren't really babies anymore [​IMG] )

Good luck with her and I hope that there isn't really anything wrong.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Im sorry she's not well--first 2 roos is 1 too many in with 4 hens...she will be overbred and get hurt-can you seperate them into trios? That mark is most likely from the roo grabbing ahold of her to mate...

5. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    i have no idea, just wanted to say what a cutie. those little faces with them sweet beaks on our chickens are the sweetest. and sorry hope it gets better. i am nursing a sick one myself.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  6. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Thanks! Her poop is normal and she is eating and drinking. She is very alert because she "talks" to me when I go back to see her. I will keep her away for awhile to make sure she is OK.

7. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    It's a good sign if she's eating and all. What kind of bird is she? She's gorgeous!

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Looks like she got pecked. I might suggest that the ratio of boys to girls in your flock is high. I've read it ought to be more like one roo to 10 hens...may or may not be your particular issue...

Edited for dang typos

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  9. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    I think she got pecked too.
    I have a little white bantam with a pecked eye and the same spot kinda thing on her comb.
    Shes been being pecked so i definitely think that's probably a peck mark as well.

10. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    the best of luck with your little frizzle.. frizzle cochins are awesome!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by