Help me settle this.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by GSCforester, Dec 29, 2010.

1. GSCforester

GSCforester Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2010
    My wifes says pigs cannot, or shouldn't eat meat of any kind at all. I say a little mixed in with the table scraps is fine.
    WHO IS RIGHT?

2. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    your wife.

Pigs can turn canibal. I never fed the pigs I raised any meat.
    Heard alot of stories from the old timers about pigs taking a kid or older person so I just followed their rules.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yes..pigs can eat COOKED meat..
    I dont feed mine meat cause i dont want them to associate my chickens with food.. [​IMG]
    But i have given my pigs meat scraps before....
    but as a general rule..no we dont feed our pigs meat. Only VERY rarely. and always mixed in with something.

4. magoochie

magoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    Grantsburg, WI
    From everything I've seen of pigs, they will eat whatever you put in front of them.

Now, I dont know if there is anything they shouldn't eat. Something that may cause an illness or something.

Is it a pet pig? Or a butchering pig?

A friend of ours had a couple pigs he got to raise and then butcher, and he fed them everything! Any left over table scraps, feed etc. They ate it, bones and all.

Not sure if this helps.

If your wife just doesnt want it to eat meat, that is another story.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i've seen this question before and remember looking it up on the net. Here is some info i just found:

Meat and meat products can be processed and fit for human consumption, but still contain certain animal viruses. Humans are not affected by them, so there’s no food quality or health issue, but animals eating these products could pick up the disease.

With food being imported from all over the world, there’s a veritable smorgasboard of diseases that could be introduced. Some of the serious possibilities include: foot-and-mouth disease, swine vesicular disease, African swine fever, classical swine fever, and trichinellosis.

6. magoochie

magoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    Grantsburg, WI
    Wow!!!!!!!!! I learned something new! I never knew that pigs would turn cannibal! I guess I'd stay away from giving them meat!

7. greenriver

greenriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Wilmington, Il
    You are. Pigs are omnivorius. If they eat wild meat they can and do carry hook worms.

Table scraps are ok. And thoroughly cooked meat of any kind is OK.

And as long as you cook pork thoroughly, even wild hogs are good eatening too!

8. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    You are correct. Pigs are not herbivores. Given the opportunity they will happily eat anything, including other animals and humans. [​IMG]

9. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    They also love eggs - raw or cooked.

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    What green river said.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by