Help me sex a Buckeye and a SLW please? (6 Weeks)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by speckledegg728, Oct 20, 2016.

1. speckledegg728

speckledegg728 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2016
    Rural Ohio.
    For a while now, I've had deep-rooted fears that two of the girls in my flock might not be girls at all, and I was hoping that I could get some more opinions on the matter from people with superior chicken knowledge. I love these chickens dearly, and if they ended being cockerels, I couldn't keep them. (A neighbor has offered to keep them if any of them DO turn out to be boys, but...it just won't be the same, you know? [​IMG])

The first in question is my Buckeye, Iroquois. She's the runt of the six, and at first we thought her slow feather development might have been a major sign that she was a cockerel and not a pullet--we read specifically about tail feathers being a big indicator, and the poor thing is only just developing a respectable tail. Now I'm not so sure. My personal opinion is that she's just a slow developer, and I've started her on some extra protein in her diet to nudge her along and hopefully help her catch up with her bigger, glossy, sisters, but I thought her gender was worth discussing just in case. She's my boyfriend's bird, and he loves her to pieces.

[​IMG]
    Normal picture of her from the side (See my Brahma peeking through from the pen? She thinks something special is going on, when in reality, it's a long and frustrating photo-shoot [​IMG])

[​IMG]
    A better view of the legs.

[​IMG]
    Top-down view.
    [​IMG]

View of the comb--or my best attempt. She was SO fed up with me. I hope it's clear enough. The comb is very small and colorless.

Next is my Silver Laced Wyandotte, Bertie. I don't have a ton of reason to suspect her, but her comb is a little worrisome; it's a good deal redder than anyone else's, and has developed a bump. Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]
    Normal side view of Bertie all tucked up neatly on my knee

[​IMG]
    Bertie's comb

[​IMG]
    Top down view

[​IMG]
    View of her legs

[​IMG]
    Bonus: this is what happens when your chicken gets fed up with all the pictures. (She then poops on you for good measure.)

I would really appreciate any input on these two lovely chickens! I'm probably just being paranoid, but like I said, I'm a first-timer, and any information you could give would be SO helpful. :) Thank you!

2. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    I believe your both your birds are pullets, but I'm not an expert so hopefully someone else has an input. :)

3. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist Premium Member

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I would say both are female

4. JuliaWesterbeek

JuliaWesterbeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2016
    Singapore
    I am not an expert either but I think they are both pullets!

5. henny1129

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    By the way, :welcome @JuliaWesterbeek and @speckledegg728!

6. JuliaWesterbeek

Oct 17, 2016
    Singapore
    Thanks @Henny1129 :)

(How do you mention people in a post???, I tried but it didn't work)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  7. henny1129

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Yep! It depends on whether you use mobile (phone) or desktop (computer). On mobile there are 4 different squares at the top of the reply box and the last one with the "at" (@) symbol is the one you click on. Then you type in the member's username (make sure you get all capitalizations and numbers right or it won't mention the right person) and it will "mention" that member. On desktop you can just type in the "at" (@) symbol and then the rest of the members username and it will automatically mention them. Hope this helps and isn't to confusing! :D

8. JuliaWesterbeek

Oct 17, 2016
    Singapore
    Ooh
    I see what I did wrong... I wrote Henny with capital.

Thanks for the information!!!!

~ Julia

9. henny1129

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Don't worry, I've done it many times before! Glad I could help!! :)

10. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Pullets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by