Help me sex Diamonds (Silkie) babies please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stormylady, Aug 18, 2011.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    They are 10 1/2 weeks old.

Suspected boys, they play fight all the time!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Suspected girls, they are smaller than what I think might be the boys but love to get in on the games too!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Boy, girl, girl??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know it is really hard to sex silkies so young but there is such a difference in there behavior along with comb and wattle size with these youngin's, what do ya all think? Thanks sandy

2. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    i think your right!

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    The 2 buffs i nthe 1st pic are definetely boys - except for the black one I'd suspect all were male.

Some pics of my ex birds for comparison:

1. Rooster (looks a bit like the "girl" in last pic)
    [​IMG]

2. A pic of a different rooster at a younger age...

[​IMG]

3. Pic of a hen at the same age for comparison

[​IMG]

Good luck [​IMG]

4. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    yeah the two Partridge males, have huge combs and huge wattles for 11 weeks almost, where as the black, and 2 buff chicks have almost no comb, and no wattles what so ever thats why I though the 3 littlest ones black and the two light colored ones were girls.
    This is Diamond the Momma and she has a very small comb Too , like your Rooster in first pic. but I also have some Hens that have huge combs .[​IMG][​IMG] These pics are both of Diamond but the second one is more accurate as far as color goes. I do see what ya mean about the head dress though! Thankyou!
    Here is a picture of the one that I believe is the buff and the partridges daddy[​IMG] Hes the only Red Silkie I owned?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  5. chickens are great 12

chickens are great 12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2011
    I think you are right! The Roosters usaully have big combs, and the females have smaller combs. [​IMG]

6. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Thanks I sure hope so![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by