Help me sex my 6 week old Easter Eggers!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aoxa, Apr 19, 2012.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I do have five, though the brown group is very easy to distinguish.. These white EE's have me wondering. Are they girls? 100% white feathering, no bleeding in wings/shoulders. The combs are very small compared to my known roo... The thing is.. their legs are fat.. They were bought straight run. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] my known boy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] my two girls [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Pics at week 5 to show the leg size [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. aoxa

No one? :/ What about this one? [​IMG] @7.5 weeks old now. @ 6 weeks [​IMG] @ 3.5 weeks [​IMG] Thought it was a boy from the day we got it. Now I'm not so sure. The comb is so tiny for nearly 8 weeks old.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    good comb shots would help, but I wanna say girls on the whites

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The white bird you posted later does look linda boyish, but it really doesn't look like an easter egger. On all those white birds you're probably just going to have to wait and see.

5. TexasChick09

TexasChick09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2009
    I agree that the bottom white bird doesn't look like an EE.

Every solid white EE I have hatched out has been a pullet oddly. I have one now that I thought was going to be solid white, but is developing dark marks around the neck and I think that he is a roo.

6. aoxa

The other one is not an EE - it's a frizzle mix without the frizzling :p The white EE's had spots on their heads when hatched. [​IMG]

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I think they are all pullets.

I absolutely love your white EE's! Beautiful! We were hoping to find an all white chicken this year, but we ended up with a light brahma that will be mostly white. He/she is a solid yellow chick.

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I just posted in another thread a solid white EE that I think is a roo, but mine has a much redder comb than yours at 9 weeks or so. So far the white ones you have look girly, but wait a few more weeks to be sure. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  9. aoxa

I spoke with a poultry judge about my white EE's - he said if they had the slate legs and not the green legs, they would be Ameraucana (which is what I bought them as). I just know how often people are ripped off, and I just wanted colourful eggs. I do like the pure white, but I like my brown colours better. Though as chicks, the whites were my favourite :p

I think yours looks like a girl. I think mine do as well, but just wanted to hear other peoples' opinions. That's pretty lucky! Out of the 10 chicks I bought, only one is a roo for sure :D I have another one that I hope is a roo (Houdan) as I have two of them, and would like to get a few more by breeding them.

10. TexasChick09

TexasChick09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2009
    Hmmm, this looks like a hen to me..lol. Looks exactly like my white EE hens.

One of my white EEs has green legs and one has slate legs, I'm not sure yet what color legs the new white chick will have. They seem to all start greenish and some change to slate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by