HELP ME SEX MY 7 WEEK OLD CAYUGA DUCK

aaronmg

Chirping
Jul 25, 2021
I have this duck whos 7 weeks old and its very small in comparison to my other cayuga, it doesn't really quack but she doesn't honk and croak either. this is as loud as I can get it to be. my inexperience is punishing me because I can't determine whether this duck is a boy or a girl. if there are any duck experts who can help me sex, or even tell me its too soon to tell with this one, it would be much appreciated

Super cute!
Sounds like a girl. You can tell by the loud quacking, compared to the low raspy frog like sound the drakes make. Drakes will also have a curly tail feather.
her voice has barely changed from when she was a baby, and she's really tiny so i thought she was just late developing lately because she doesn't really quack and shes quite quiet. i have a white campbell drake (i can tell obviously in his voice despite only being 5 weeks) and i have 3 other females. do you recommend adding another female? i hear white campbell drakes can be very demanding

I have this duck whos 7 weeks old and its very small in comparison to my other cayuga, it doesn't really quack but she doesn't honk and croak either. this is as loud as I can get it to be. my inexperience is punishing me because I can't determine whether this duck is a boy or a girl. if there are any duck experts who can help me sex, or even tell me its too soon to tell with this one, it would be much appreciated
Those sound like girl sounds to me. My Cayuga ducklings are also about 7 weeks old and some are already making honky quack sounds while the drakes still make more of a whistling sound. I'm familiar with that whistling sound because I've hand raised some baby cayugas before that turned out to be drakes. They never made that honky sound like yours is making in the video. 😁

Those sound like girl sounds to me. My Cayuga ducklings are also about 7 weeks old and some are already making honky quack sounds while the drakes still make more of a whistling sound. I'm familiar with that whistling sound because I've hand raised some baby cayugas before that turned out to be drakes. They never made that honky sound like yours is making in the video. 😁
thank you! this is my first time raising ducks. i can sex an adult duck because i know the difference in their voices, but in younger ducks i know little and have no experience, so unless its apparently obvious i have no idea who is what. but its a relief paku is a girl (my littlest cayuga) as that means 3 girls and a boy and I don't have to worry about parting ways with anyone!

her voice has barely changed from when she was a baby, and she's really tiny so i thought she was just late developing lately because she doesn't really quack and shes quite quiet. i have a white campbell drake (i can tell obviously in his voice despite only being 5 weeks) and i have 3 other females. do you recommend adding another female? i hear white campbell drakes can be very demanding
I'm thinking shes just developing a bit late.

I always say it's better to go with more females if you can. Though you would need to get more than one to start with as ducklings, so you would end up with quite a few.

I would wait until they've reached sexual maturity, then see how they do. If you need more females then I would get some more ducklings.

I'm thinking shes just developing a bit late.

I always say it's better to go with more females if you can. Though you would need to get more than one to start with as ducklings, so you would end up with quite a few.

I would wait until they've reached sexual maturity, then see how they do. If you need more females then I would get some more ducklings.
i was planning on adding a fawn runner duck, whos a similar age to my current ducks who are 5-7 weeks old (my drake is 5 weeks) because I want them at similar developmental stages, because I'd rather integrate a new duck this summer than perhaps say over the winter. would it have to be ducklings or would a duck at a similar/older age not be appropriate??

yay! i've been so worried about the prospect of having 2 boys and 2 girls. its been impossible to get her to make anymore noise than that she refuses to speak
It’s normal, with my experience with ducks I’ve found that drakes talk more and girls talk less but when the do it’s louder. Drakes=more talking Ducks=louder

Back
Top Bottom