Help Me Sex My Baby Barred Rock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HJECG, Feb 18, 2014.

1. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    [​IMG][​IMG]How about this cutie? I have a sinking feeling that this is a cockerel but I really hope not because Valentine, which is what my two youngest named him/her has a great personality already.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Pullet

3. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    Yay!! You think? What do you think suggests pullet at this point? Thanks so much for taking a look and responding.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Yes, probably pullet, but Barred's can fool you. (At least I find so...some are very confident of this technique, but I find it doesn't always work).

Typically, small head dot, black wash on front legs, dark overall coloring indicate pullet at this age.

Roo's will have a diffuse, fuzzy head dot, no black wash on legs, and more silvery looking and get more white at wing tips...all indication of the double barring they usually have as the roo's are doubled barred while the females are single barred.

However, I find when I have just one Barred chick it is hard to tell if it is white on black or black on white barring, and the pullets can get some fairly large combs faster, and hatchery quality can mature faster.

However, it looks like a typical pullet....BUT...that comb is something to watch. It's already got larger "nubs" on it. If those start to really enlargen and get red within the next few weeks, and red wattles form, and the whole bird begin to take on a more silvery look...you've likely got a roo.

Hopefully another pullet for you though.
    Lady of McCamley

5. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    Thank you so much!

6. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Definitely a pullet - dark coloring is the primary indicator. Secondary indicators - tight headspot and dark wash on the legs.

7. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    Yay!! Thank you. Her name is Valentine :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by