1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help Me Sex My Baby Brown Leghorn

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HJECG, Feb 18, 2014.

1. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    [​IMG][​IMG]This is Brownie, our new baby Brown Leghorn. I happen to think Brownie is possibly the cutest baby chicken on the planet. She's from a local feed store, and I believe she came from McMurray Hatchery. You can see by my choice of pronouns that I'm an optimist. Anybody see anything yet that would tip the scales in favor of Brownie being one gender or the other?[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Too early to tell...nothing indicates roo at this point. The comb will take off and get big and red, often by 4 to 6 weeks for roo's of this breed.

Wait a few more weeks and re-post.
    Lady of McCamley

3. wildsam

wildsam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2012
    Radisson, NW Wisconsin
    From what I found out on the net so far, your Brownie seems to be a pullet, as it has the very distinct darker markings (bold dark colors on back up to triangle on head) and the defined dark eye stripe from the corner of its eyes to the ears. Males supposed to be very light colored and have neither the triangle on their head or such a defined eye stripe. At least as far as I found so far...

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon

That is true with the autosexing breed Welsummer but not with Brown Leghorns...males and females look alike as chicks.

Lady of McCamley

5. MedSchlFarmers

MedSchlFarmers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    What did your baby end up being? I currently have a 2 weeks old brown leghorn who is suppose to be female, but looks a lot different from yours posted here.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on both of the above posts.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 3 on both posts

8. Eps32

Eps32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2015
    North Carolina
    Ya to early to tell but if I had to take a guess. This is just a guess from my baby chick experience. You have a pullet on your hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by