Help me sex my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chloe99, Jun 27, 2016.

1. chloe99

chloe99 New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    I'm a first time mummy to 6 beautiful chicks that hatched out on Friday. I have made an attempt to wing sex them and as a novice the results have been pretty inconclusive, but it looks as though I may have 5 cocks and only 1 pullet :(
    Either way they are going to the farm I volunteer at, which has two old, infertile roosters that are headed for the chop in the next few weeks. They have 50+ hens so I'm hopeful that my boss may take all of the boys and raise them up to go back into the flock.
    I will include pictures of each baby and hopefully the more experienced members can tell me what's going on.
    Chick 1.
    [​IMG]
    I see two rows but they're pretty similar lengths. Thinking its a boy?

Chick 2.
    [​IMG]
    Similar situation again with this little guy. Boy?

Chick 3.
    [​IMG]
    This one's feathers are a little less developed but two rows are visible and they're of similar length. Boy again?

Chick 4.
    [​IMG]
    I'm pretty certain that this little Marans is a boy. Two rows that are almost indistinguishable from each other because they're exactly the same length.

Chick 5.
    [​IMG]
    Almost sure that this is a little girl. Very obvious size difference in the two rows.

Chick 6.
    [​IMG]
    This little one was the 'runt' of the group. Still has very underdeveloped feathers so it's hard to tell.

So what do you guys think?

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    You should post this in the What Breed or Gender is this? forum for more answers. What breed are your chicks? Only certain breeds can be wing sexed, so if your chicks aren't one of those breeds you can't wing sex.

You said one is a Marans, and I don't think those are sex link. Could be wrong on that though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by