Help me sex my easter eggers...please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by anjbagley, Jun 9, 2010.

1. anjbagley

anjbagley Songster

Aug 21, 2009
    Star Valley Wyoming
    Can you tell if these are cockrels or pulletts? They are 10 weeks old. #1 is the one with more white-first 2 pics. #2 is the one with more red- last 3 pics. Thanks!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Songster

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    first one favors a hen, second one favors a rooster

3. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Im going to guess both are hens [​IMG]

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    those are both boys....[​IMG]

5. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Sorry! [​IMG] I think both are cockerels, pretty dern sure in fact.. I have a 10 week old EE pullet and her comb is NOWHERE near that red.. Here is a 10 week old EE pullet to compare:

[​IMG]

The combs are different though... [​IMG] I am not sure, but I still think both boyo's

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  6. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I positively agree. Both cockerels. The feathering above the tail is a good indicator also. On roos the feathers are more narrow and longer as on the neck also. I have several EE's and am constantly hatching them out. I can say with certainly they are both cockerels. The red comb also the the feathers is a good way to tell if your uncertain.

7. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    The tail carriage was a dead giveaway on my EE cockerel as well. Narrow, upright as opposed to fanned out, a bit fuller like a pullet. I think I am getting the hang of this!

8. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Songster

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I vote both are cockerels. I see saddle feathers on both and number two has the start of a roo tail. Sorry, unless it was roos you like.

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:X2

10. anjbagley

anjbagley Songster

Aug 21, 2009
    Star Valley Wyoming
    Thank you so much to all for your help. I not only love that everyone here is so willing to lend a hand but also that you pass the knowledge on to the rest of us. I didn't know about the feathering of the tail. I can't wait to go out now and compare them to others and hopefully make the connection so I can sex my own!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: