Help me sex my flock!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Theolyn, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Theolyn

Theolyn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2009
    Alameda, CA
    My "girls" are 13 weeks. I won't load pictures of my BSL...pretty sure she's a girl!

First: My D'Uccle, Kiki. I call her a "cent fleur" since its' obvious that Mille isn't in her future [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second: Yakul, the Easter Egger. She was sexed at the hatchery. Still has very pale combs, no wattles, upright tail.
    [​IMG]
    Side view of Yakul
    [​IMG]

Third: Totoro, the silkie. I know these aren't great pics, and that silkies are hard to begin with, but I'll take straight up guesses/impressions. She has no color on her comb yet.
    img]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/40605_pb250223.jpg[/img]
    Second view of Totoro (for the poof)
    [​IMG]

Fourth: Lady Yupa the polish. She's the one that gives me roo feelings. She's just braver than the others. But no streamers in her poof, all her feathers are rounded.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fifth: Calicifer the Easter Egger. Also sexed at hatchery. looks identical to her sister in terms of size, but her tail has a downward slope rather than an upright stance. Also very pale comb, no wattles, no pointy feathers.
    [​IMG]

The only chicken that has a red comb is my Black Sex Link (not pictured).

What are your thoughts? If you take a guess, would you also let me know how sure you are? Also, bonus points for anyone who recognizes the common thread in our flock names!

Gratefully,
    Theolyn

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    All of your chickens are pullets. [​IMG]

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    They all look like girls to me. D'Uccles will get more spots as the mature. (just a little tid bit I do know about another breed)

4. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    they all look like girls to my unexperienced eye..

I just wanted to post and say I know Totoro is anime-related.. but I can't for the life of me remember where from

Google.... hmmm... he had his own movie in 1988.. and it was by STUDIO GHIBLI!!! awesome [​IMG]

5. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Yep! All girls! [​IMG]

6. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    looks like all pullets to me to, and yes your d'uccle will get much more of the 'mottling' (spots, whatever) as she ages (every time she moults)!

7. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    millies can take some time to get their full colors in so give her time and wait for her 9 and 18 month molts to take place before giving up on that. i'm crossing my fingers you have a girl! they are sweeeet! [​IMG]

your 2 EEs look both like females to me.

the polish could be iffy on the sexing. i've only had 1 female and the 2 boys took a few months before they got the courage to crow, they never really showed pointed feather until their wattles and combs were noticeable. by the 4-5 month the wattles & comb will become more noticeable if Lady Yupa was a male. my female still has a messed up crest at 6 months but i still haven't heard a crow so i've been assuming my Muddy is a girl.

i'd say you got a female but do you have any close up pics of the crest and the wattle areas? don't go looking for the beginnings of spurs since both sexes have signs of them on the polish.

8. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    btw, you're an anime fan?!

9. Theolyn

Theolyn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2009
    Alameda, CA
    Eeeeeee!!! [​IMG] That would be wonderful if my girls are all girls! But I know the proof is in the eggs...until then I'll try to hold off on the happy dance.

All the names are from Miyasaki movies. I don't watch a whole lot of anime...but I do love his films. It was the only naming theme my whole family could agree upon!

10. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Yakul and Calcifer look like my ee girls!!
    So I take it you like Miyasaki? So do we [​IMG] Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle are my favorites [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by