Help me sex silver duckwing leghorn chicks

I've got him on the phone now. He said for him it's not always accurate. Really depends on if they were bred for that trait. There is some truth to it, but it's not super accurate. With Leghorns you can typically easily tell by 3-4 weeks looking at combs, and with duckwing you can tell by breast color once they're feathered in. It would be most accurate to just wait.

Want to run an experiment, @Nenad? Band the ones that appear male (going by down pattern) and then post photos of them all at 6 weeks. By then we should know for sure by combs.

I've got him on the phone now. He said for him it's not always accurate. Really depends on if they were bred for that trait. There is some truth to it, but it's not super accurate. With Leghorns you can typically easily tell by 3-4 weeks looking at combs, and with duckwing you can tell by breast color once they're feathered in. It would be most accurate to just wait.

Want to run an experiment, @Nenad? Band the ones that appear male (going by down pattern) and then post photos of them all at 6 weeks. By then we should know for sure by combs.
I will update for sure at 6 weeks of age! Thanks for response!

Ok, here is little update of chicks
They are now 3 weeks and 3 days old

Chick 1
20220625_201848.jpg

Chick 2
20220625_201840.jpg

Chick 3
20220625_201825.jpg

Chick 4
20220625_201804.jpg

Chick 5
20220625_201717.jpg

Chick 6
20220625_201654.jpg

and chick 7
20220625_201623.jpg

Now what do you think, how many pullets and how many cockerels? To mr its confusing because some chicks with big comb and male coloring have lighter belly feathers and some that have little combs and female coloration have darker belly feathers. Now from what I undedstand male should have black breasts and females salmon colored. Thanks

Still too early. 6 weeks is typically the magic week. That being said... 2, 3, 5, and 6 are cockerels. Chick 7 is looking like it will be a cockerel as well.

Back
Top Bottom