Help me sex these bielefelders!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kerrismama, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Kerrismama

Kerrismama Just Hatched

Jun 1, 2016
    Western Washington
    A couple months ago, I bought 4 dozen bielefelder hatching eggs to start my new breeding program for next year. 2 dozen were shipped from a breeder in Georgia, and 2 dozen were from a local breeder. I marked the eggs so I would know which were which in the incubator. The two chicks in question, I actually saw hatch. I know for sure they were from the local breeder. She had only bielefelders, and they were ranged using electric poultry netting. They're definitely purebred, not mixed. That being said, when these two hatched out I had no idea what sex they were. They were the same color as the girls other obvious girls, but had no chipmunk stripes nor a light spot on the head. I was hoping it would become more obvious as their feathers came in, but no such luck. It should also be noted that their combs are significantly larger than all the others, and their legs are orange rather than the greenish/yellow they should be. You can see some of the cockerel chicks in the background (lighter color) for comparison. They're about 4 weeks old right now, so still a little young to tell for certain but I was hoping for some opinions. I'm really thinking they're both cockerels at this point, but I hope not. Obviously I won't be breeding them, but if they're girls I have a good home lined up with someone who can't have roosters. Also, if anyone can tell me how did this happen?? Is it just poor selective breeding? I know you have select for auto-sexing to keep it true, but how do they end up with the wrong color legs too? I only had one girl hatch from that clutch, but at this point I'm wondering if I should even keep her or the boys. I really wanted to have unrelated males, but I also don't want to lose the auto-sexing ability. Any advice or opinions appreciated!
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kerrismama

Kerrismama Just Hatched

Jun 1, 2016
    Western Washington
    Anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by