1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me sex this Orp, please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ThistleChick, Aug 21, 2011.

1. ThistleChick

ThistleChick New Egg

Aug 18, 2009
    So I've found homes for my roos, I'm happy to say. However, there's one of them (due to be picked up tomorrow) that I'm not 100% sure about. He looks roo-ish to me, but he's so gentle and shy, I just want to make sure. Here are a few pics that will hopefully enable one of you to make a definite distinction! My Black Opr Roo is ALL BOY. Huge comb, giant legs, pushy and not scared of anything and is completely different from Boss (photos below). Is Boss a boy?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

How old? With Orps, must know that. Sometimes, those really can fool you since even the ladies have tree trunk legs.

3. jmmre31

jmmre31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Front Royal
    I'm not 100% sure but I don't see any rooish feathers. Why do you think it's a roo? I see a hen. Hope someone with more expertise speaks up!

4. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    I agree~Hen.
    Quote:

5. ThistleChick

ThistleChick New Egg

Aug 18, 2009
    As for age, they were born on May 13th so they're just over 3 months old. The black one has been trying to crow for about a week, and I'm just comparing the way their tails feathers look and they way their chests look different from the other pullets. He/she is also quite a bit lighter than the photos show - would you call this a Blue Orp?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  6. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    That looks like a hen to me!! I guess time will tell! [​IMG]

7. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Keep "Her". My guess i a pullet.

8. ThistleChick

ThistleChick New Egg

Aug 18, 2009
    Well, if she is a she, then I got very lucky this year! 5 eggs and only 1 roo (the others really do look like girls, no hint of a comb yet on any of them) I just went out to stare at them all again. Boss (the one in the photos) just doesn't look like any of the others! She has a bit of a comb and new feathers coming out of her tail (like the roo). She's also bigger than the three I know are female. On the other hand, she's smaller than the roo and has a much less developed comb. I'm just stumped, but I definitely don't want to give her away if she's not a boy!

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is a splash Orp pullet, I believe. [​IMG] Could be extremely light blue, but in the pics, seems splash to me. There are some late blooming males, but so far, I think girl on this one.

10. ryan820

ryan820 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Colorado
    I have a hen that has rather roo like features. She even plays the bully part well, despite her name being Violet. My roo is the same age as her and he's smaller, with smaller features, but a big comb. I should mention, they're all buff orps. I believe you have a hen, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by