help me sex/what breed do you think this is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wickstopher, Sep 11, 2011.

1. wickstopher

wickstopher Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Hi, there! I have a young bird (4 months, maybe) who I think is either a Barred Rock or a Cuckoo Marans. The breeder says it's a female Marans, but I'm not too sure about either! S(he) is pretty loud, and already is developing a rather pronounced comb and wattle, but I don't see any saddle feathers. I'm very new to this, however. I can't have roosters because I live in the city, and I'm at about a 50% roo rate from these breeders so far. [​IMG] Let me know what you all think! Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  2. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Looks like a Barred Rock to me. It looks pretty light for a BR and might be a roo. [​IMG] (I'm not too good at sexing the barred breeds though so I could be wrong.)

3. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    looks like a barred rock pullet to me. BR hens have larger combs than most breeds, and BR roos have wider white stripes than that

4. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Barred Rock, not sure on gender though

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Barred Rock pullet. [​IMG]

6. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I can't help you with the gender but I can tell you it's a Barred Rocks. It is NOT a Cuckoo Marans. He/she would have white legs if it was a CM.

7. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Barred Rock and I think Pullet. I have one the same age and her comb and wattles look the same - she just started laying eggs.[​IMG]

8. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    i am not as sure as everyone else is, legs are rather pale for a barred rock and the barring isn't good. too much white for barred pullet, too dark for a barred roo. i think it is at least in part maran.

9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Barred Rock. If the bird is 4 months old, she's hen. If you're wrong on the age and the bird is younger, he's roo. Those neck feathers seem rooish but the comb and wattles are far too small at 4 mos to be roo.

10. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Quote:Just what I was thinking! Cuckoo Marans are white skinned. From the look of her I definitely think hen. A BR cock would have bigger combs and wattles for sure, and more pronounced saddle and tail plumage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by