Help me solve a mystery.MIXED OPINIONS ON SILKIE 2

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amydurose, Jan 13, 2011.

1. amydurose

amydurose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2010
    England
    I keep heaing crowing at night time, never in the morning, I dont even know who it is crowing. Please help me

chickie number one, any suggestions on breed also??
    [​IMG]

Chocolate orpington 1
    [​IMG]

Chocolate Orpington 2
    [​IMG]

Silkie 1 with anti pecking spray just growing out thats why she looks purple in places
    [​IMG]

silkie 2
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Either Chickie 1 or Silkie 2 is the crower. And thanks for helping ID one of MY hens, btw, she's a chocolate orp, too!

3. amydurose

Oct 4, 2010
    England
    you think theyre both boys?

4. amydurose

Oct 4, 2010
    England
    any clue on breed of chicken one

5. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I agree

Chickie #1 and Silkie #2 are cockerels

Sorry, no idea on breed of #1

6. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    OK, I'm curious what you guys are seeing in silkie #2 that looks rooish? Silkie #1 looks more like my two silkie roos and silkie #1 looks more like my hen (based on the "hairdos" and tails).

I would guess chick #1 and silkie #1 as the roos and assume that is why silkie #1 is being pecked.

But I've only had chickens since June, so take it for what it is worth. [​IMG]

7. amydurose

Oct 4, 2010
    England
    Im unsure myself about the silkies but I agree with chicken one being a roo. Its mean lol

8. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    chickie #1 is a roo

9. amydurose

Oct 4, 2010
    England
    I'm ok with chickie one being a roo, but if the silkie is a roo I'm going to be pretty upset, the 2 silkies live separate from the rest and live quite happily together like Siamese twins. If I gave one away i think It would have to be take both or neither :-(

10. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Quote:Or, if you keep both, you could have sweet little chickies! I had said that I would get rid of any roosters that popped up when I got my chickens (I ordered 3 silkies with the hope of getting at least one hen). I ended up with 2 roos and have since decided that, as long as they play nice, I will keep them both. I know every chicken is different, but mine are honestly quiet enough that I almost NEVER hear them from inside of my house (and my coop is right against the back of my attached garage). When I told my neighbors that I was considering getting rid of one of them, they didn't want me too! Mine don't bother the neighbors at all. The donkey a few houses away is louder than they are. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by