Help me solve my pink egg mystery...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SoManyHats, Nov 8, 2013.

1. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    Hi all! I have three Barred rock crosses and two Black Austraulorps tha are laying age. I know for sure one of each are laying. And another Barred rock who is squatting. She may be laying, because I got two Barred rock eggs a couple days ago, but I know it's possible for a hen to lay two eggs in one day. Anyway, this morning about 10:30, I got the typical two eggs - one from my BR, one from my BA. They lay one after another every day. But then I went back out around noon, and found this pinkish colored egg. It looks closer to the BA's eggs, but my other BA looks too immature to lay.

Here's a picture. BR on the left, BA on the right, and mystery egg in the middle.

[​IMG]

And here's my other BA. Could she be laying?

[​IMG]

I'd love some input. The egg is beautiful. :love

2. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    That egg look pretty large for a first egg. Are all three pullets?

3. SoManyHats

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    The one on the left and the one on the right are from hens who have been laying for about a month.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    That egg is a pretty pink color. Agree the BA in the picture does look a little less developed than I would expect for a pullet that is laying, so I guess I would vote it is probably from one of the BR crosses.

5. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    Im glad u asked that question bcause I get those colored pink eggs alot. When u wash them it tends to turn more of a brown color. I just thought that was what color I was supposed to get.

6. SoManyHats

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA

You are washing off the "bloom" which can be the source of a pinkish tint to brown eggs.

The guy I got the chickens from reminded me that my Barred Rock crosses are 1/4 Basque, and they have been known to lay that color egg. So I'm just going to assume it's the BR.

7. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    Bloom? Could u plz explain?

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Bloom/ cuticle is the coating the hen puts on the eggshell just before she lays it that helps seal the pores, it helps keep bacteria etc from getting in the egg and slows down evaporation from the egg. Washing eggs takes the bloom off which is why they last longer if you do not wash them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by