Help me solve the Mystery behind this OE's parents... PLEASE

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by A1momof3, Jan 22, 2015.

1. A1momof3

A1momof3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Quitman, Texas
    This is the sweet lady in question....
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

As you can see she was my husbands favorite chicken. He doesn't share my enthusiasm (obsession) for my feathered babies but he loved Olive Oil. He said I could have several of her..... she was the perfect and prettiest one I had.....Normal I think he said she was. LOL

She was an OE and I say was because she died a few months ago. I am just now beginning to understand the breeding of OE chickens but as I understand what male and females make OE ..... I don't know which ones made her. To be more detailed...... her coloring the way she looks.

Can anyone tell what she might have been breed by? Is that even possible. There are many different colors.

I wish there was a chart of something that showed if you breed a BCM with a black Ameraucana this is what the chick will llook like....... BCM with a Buff Ameraucana results in this chicken........ You get what I am saying.

I have sent a message to the person I bought her from but I haven't heard back yet so I thought maybe someone here might no.

So you Mystery lovers..... Can you help me??

2. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    She is red and barred . So to get a red barred olive egger I would guess a rooster of Rhodebar or Pioneer or similar over a wheaten or buff Ameraucana hen .

3. A1momof3

Feb 24, 2014
    Quitman, Texas
    Ok since there is the barred that would mean they would be auto=sexing? I got her as a day old chick and the OE and the crested cream lebars where were I could request male or female. I understand the legbar but I wasn't sure how you could get the OE auto=sexed.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Where did you get her from?

6. A1momof3

Feb 24, 2014
    Quitman, Texas
    Do you think that would make them Auto=sexing??
    Also would the eggs be really Olive color or just green?? Since the Rhodebar doesn't lay chocolate eggs?

I ordered them from a BYC member and I have sent a message to find out but I haven't heard back from him yet. I am not sure he will tell me. LOL trade secret maybe. LOL

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  7. jerryse

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    The cross I described would not auto sex in the first generation . It can be done but would take further breeding . I am working on auto sexing EE in crele and red barred .

8. A1momof3

Feb 24, 2014
    Quitman, Texas
    Ok that just went over my head and blew what I thought I understood. LOL I was under the impression that if you breed OE with OE than you would lose the olive egg?? So how do you get second and third generations?

9. jerryse

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Well most only do first generation crosses . However you can continue on . If you do first generation to first generation the genes will segregate into predictable groups . Short story is you would get blues , greens and browns . Chose the color you like and continue on . You can breed back to blue and only get blues and greens . Breed back to brown and you get browns and greens . For auto sexing You need barred hens and a rooster with 2 barring genes . Then depending on the chick color you have auto sexing or sex by head spot size like barred Rocks . There was a oliver egger chart on another thread . I will see if I can copy and paste .

10. jerryse

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by