help me solve this egg mystery

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sydney13, Dec 2, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    A few weeks ago my barred rock started laying and my orpington has also recently started to lay. the other day I found a egg on the dropping board under the roost with a crack in it. My barred rock usually lays under the nest box so I think this was my orpingtons first egg. has anyone ever had a chicken pop out a egg while sleeping on the roost?

2. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have had two eggs laid on the dropping board--one was a soft shell egg--don't really know who laid it and a very tiny blue egg (pullet egg from my 1st true Ameraucana... They both ended up laying in the nesting box.. Do you have golf balls or fake eggs in the nest boxes? It seems to really help

3. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I have 3 fake eggs in each one of my nest but the lay on the floor. for a few days my barred rock laid in the box but has now gone back to the floor. Whenever I see them on their nest i put them into the nest box but i rarely am their when they go to lay a egg. do you think they will ever learn to lay in the nest boxes?

4. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Most of the time, mine lay in the nest boxes. It took a while for them all to get the idea, but they are pretty good now. Once in a while, I still find an egg on the poop board or the coop floor. I gotta wonder if some days, someone is taking too long in somebody else's favorite nest box and the second just can't wait any longer!

5. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I have an RSL that used to lay in the nest box, but on occasion she'd lay pretty much anywhere. A few weeks ago, I was letting them out in the morning. She suddenly stopped in the doorway and stood erect like she was about to poop. Then, pop, out pops an egg, almost landed on my shoe. And, just like that, she was on about her morning business.

6. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    One of my EEs first few eggs was laid from her roost at night. She figured it out in a few weeks though - I suspect yours will too!

7. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Quote:[​IMG]
    I love it they are sooooo silly sometimes

8. BitsyB

BitsyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern Delaware
    I have an RSL that used to lay in the nest box, but on occasion she'd lay pretty much anywhere. A few weeks ago, I was letting them out in the morning. She suddenly stopped in the doorway and stood erect like she was about to poop. Then, pop, out pops an egg, almost landed on my shoe. And, just like that, she was on about her morning business.

Wouldn't it be nice if human babies were born this quickly? [​IMG]

With the longer nights, I've found a few eggs on the coop floor, kind of like it "fell out" while she was still sleeping. Sometimes there's an egg with no shell or a very soft one. I'm assuming that all chickens have these "miscarraiges" sometimes?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by