Help me stay patient!

soloequestrian

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2019
It's day 22 or 23 depending on how I count - 11 eggs underneath an Arucana mum. No sign of anything happening yet, but she covers them all nicely so there could be chicks under there that I haven't seen yet. I'd love to have a proper look but I don't want to disturb her - I'm not sure she's moved at all for the last couple of days so don't want to do any damage to part-hatched babies!

She may have gotten up when you weren't around. They usually do sit tight the last couple days to retain humidity.
What day did she start sitting on them around the clock?
Eventually, you will see chicks. Patience is a virtue - and I want it now.

They went under her on a Thursday. 21 days after that was this past Wednesday but I've also read that they'll hatch on the same day of the week as they went under so that would be yesterday. Still no sign of any action but I'm only looking from a distance!

That's right. You don't count the day they start cooking. A full day of incubation isn't till 24 hours after they come to temperature. So if she started sitting on a Thursday at noon, they are due on a Thursday at noon.

Here is the thing to do: Just sit on your hands and do not disturb the broody.

Chicks might hatch up to two days later than expected and they will spend the first day of their life under the broody resting and fluffing up before they show.

You might want to put some starter crumbles near the broody and a water dispenser for chicks so she will be able to feed and entertain the already hatched and fit chicks until the rest of them hatch and recover.

Ta dah
Chicks 1 day old.png

I saw 7 which means potentially 5 more - how long would I give them to hatch? Mum popped out, ate and drank and has now settled back on the nest with everyone tucked under her.

Congratulations!

I would give them another day. And the next time she leaves the nest maybe candle, smell and listen. You might hear them scratch, peck or even peep in the eggs. If you notice a real bad smell, toss them without opening.

Back
Top Bottom